AUTUMNAL EQUINOX 9/23/2010 set this morning- 34 eggs! anyone with me??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by xyresicchick, Sep 23, 2010.

1. xyresicchick

xyresicchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
    [​IMG]

16 Lavender Bantam Ameraucanas and 18 Bearded Silkie eggs! Yikes! how did I wind up with so many! 34 is a LOT!

Overwhelming, Yes! But still.... I'm pretty excited! [​IMG]

2. CarolAnn

CarolAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    Cool, you made that from an aqaurium? I've never hatched any but think I might like to some day. But I'll have to add to my set up for that. Hope you get a great bunch of babes!!

3. xyresicchick

Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
    yes it is an aquarium -10 gallon- with hardware mesh on the bottom, with contact paper, and that foamy egg shaped stuff that you get fragile stuff shipped in sometimes. the fan is made from a computer fan and a cell phone charger inside of more hardware cloth to protect the chicks when they hatch. tupperware container filled with water to moderate the humidity. and there are 2 60watt heat emitters on top of the screen lid. screen lid is covered with aluminum foil coated cardboard to keep the heat from rising out around the heat lamps. I also have a zoo-med temperature control in there to regulate that to stay around 99-100 degrees (this was the only thing i had to buy since i had the rest of the stuff already)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  4. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    I am putting in 14 golden cuckoo marans eggs when I get home tonight! I am in with you!

5. xyresicchick

Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
    oh how cool! I might get some golden cuckoo marans BANTAM eggs next. maybe birchen too. I'm waiting on a breeder.... the only issue i have is space...right now my coop can only fit maybe 20 birds tops.... I might have to build a second coop..
    [​IMG]
    I'm waiting on a blue wheaten Ameraucana bantam too.. heh heh heh.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  6. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    I wasnt aware that marans came in a bantam variety...

I have 5 golden cuckoo marans eggs in the incubator right now, they are on day 4, I cant wait to candle them and see what is happening! I am hoping that my BBS standard cochin eggs come in the mail tomorrow too, so I can get them in the incubator at the same time as these marans...

7. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    I'm putting almost 2 dozen RIR eggs in today, once my neighbor brings them down. We'll be splitting the chicks that hatch.

8. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    That is a very cool home made incubator! Anything involving electricity and wires confounds me. [​IMG] Are there any directions to building one like that online?

9. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Would love to join in on the AUTUMNAL EQUINOX Egg Set! Count me in!

That is a nice incubator BTW.... I wish I could be that innovative with all of this.

BATCH #1: Trial
    I have a Still Air Little Giant w/ turner has Black Copper Marans on Day 3. Thanks for the help of members with this trial experience with a Still Air!

BATCH #2:
    The new Brinsea Octagon 20 w/ turner is going on hour number 2 of stable 99.5F. A batch of Partridge Cochins and of STD Barnevelders and of BANTAM Barnevelders will be going in there!

Happy Hatching Everyone! I hope it is a blessed one for you and I! [​IMG]

10. Hi! I didn't know today is AUTUMNAL EQUINOX! Happy Equinox!
    I have 8 dozen+ marked to set this evening --- many are *test eggs* that may not be fertile, hahaha.
    First, I need to clean out the hatcher from the bunch that hatched yesterday and rearrange some other eggs set the 8th and the 15th.
    Good luck with your hatches!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by