Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by coffeemama, Nov 23, 2008.

1. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I have been trying to upload a new avatar. It says "It must not be any bigger than 100 x 100 pixels and 15240 bytes (15 KB)." I shrink my photos down to 40x40px and low quality and still can't make the 15kb rule. They won't upload! The one I have now was over 15kb and uploaded just fine. Have things changed with regards to avatar rules? Just wondering cause I appear to be stuck with my summery avatar. [​IMG]

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Don't feel bad, I have never been able to load one at all! [​IMG]

3. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

When I uploaded my pictures, there is a checkbox that you can click to resize the image then you can click then next box and select for avatar, thumbnail, e-mail or message boards. Select avatar and it should load correctly, then use that link.

good luck!

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Avatars need to be uploaded from your computer.

What I do is after I crop the pic I want in whatever program you use (I use Photo Impressions) I then open the pic I in paint and resize by % until it uploads. Go to "Image" on the top toolbar, then choose "stretch/skew" and enter a percentage of 100 that you want to downsize to. It takes longer, but I seem to have more control over it that way.

5. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

In the FAQ there is a tutorial on avatars. 99% of the time if you save your jpg as a gif it will be plenty small for the forum.

6. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Thanks all-That trick worked Rob. I just thought it was strange that it worked before but not now-who knows why?! [​IMG]

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:oh [​IMG]

8. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by