Average chicken size in the 60's, 70's was 2-1/2 pounds.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bertman, Sep 28, 2011.

1. bertman

bertman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Now I can hardly find a broiler/fryer that is less than four pounds. Back in the good ole days when I worked in my dad's butcher shop, the three-pounders and up were known as 'baking hens'.

I prefer a smaller bird for broiling, but the only ones I can find are Cornishes and they cost an arm and a leg compared to the natural, no-hormone/no-antibiotic birds I buy.

I read on BYC how an eight-week old meatie will weigh in at 4-plus pounds. Since I'm considering raising meaties in addition to our six layers, I'm wondering if there is a breed that is a good meatie that would be ready to eat at eight weeks or so, but that would be in the two to three pound range. It seems strange to think that I might process birds that were only six or seven weeks old.

Can someone steer me to answers or give me answers to these questions?

many thanks.

2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    your looking for dual purpose chicken breeds or straight cornish not jumbo x. Henderson's Chicken Chart lists varieties and what they are known to be good for ie. meat, eggs, or dual. You can search for it on line to view the whole chart. Off the top of my head, Freedom Rangers, Wyandottes, Buckeye. Good Luck.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Very simple. Butcher your Cornish Cross as soon as they get to the size you want. You don't have to wait until they are 8 pounds.

You can buy Cornish Cross in the super market that weigh less than one pound.

4. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Yep, CX and process at your desired weight or FR's at 8-10 weeks would be good as well.

5. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    I now process all of my CornishX at @ 35 days of age for 2---2 1/2 lb game hens. YUMMY !!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by