Average Life Span?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by m2wandc, May 12, 2009.

1. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    I know research shows chickens can live 10-12 years...but I'd like to know on average, what YOUR experience is...about how long before your chickens pass on???

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Depends on the breed. Same reason why a lab would outlive a great dane. Extremes don't live as long. Games tend to live longest, meats have a short life span, and eggers have a moderate lifespan. Anywhere from 3-15 years is expected. [​IMG]

3. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there a difference between standard/bantams you think? Anyone>?

4. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Don't think so... but I have noticed that LF suffer from reproductive failure more commonly. That usually kills so that would impact the lifespan, lol. OE bantams hold the record for longest average lifespan.

5. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:OE bantams hold the record for longest average lifespan.

Awesome. I've got a 3 month old one of those, and she's absolutely one of my favorites. Having her around for a decade would be nice. Even if she does remind me more of a dove than a real chicken. (Hey, what can I say? I'm BRAND new to the bantam thing. Their teeny-ness confuses me)

6. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:She'll hit 10 easy. It's not uncommon for them to reach 15, and I think the record is 19.

7. undermywings

undermywings chicken chaser

Mar 29, 2009
    California high desert
    Right now, we have a 10 year old RIR still laying an egg a day. All of our chickens keep laying and live between 9 and 14 years. I was stunned when I first came to BYC and learned that people cull their hens after 2 to 4 years due to loss in egg production. They may reduce their egg production, bantams more so than standards, but they are still worth feeding and keeping. The only exception in lifespan has been when predators cut it short.

8. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    are all silkies 'bantam' ???

I am guessing I can't get new chicks until a gap opens up and not that I want my new chicks to die...LOL...I was just wondering if I should get rid of the 'brooder stuff' because it will be some time before I do the baby chickie thing again???

9. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:Oh there will be no culling here...these chickens will live for as long as they live (unless sick and the vet puts them down...but I won't be doing it) LOL

10. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Oh there will be no culling here...these chickens will live for as long as they live (unless sick and the vet puts them down...but I won't be doing it) LOL

Same here, they are my pets but I know a lot of people on the site are into the business of eggs and other things, so I guess that is why they cull and replace. I had to cull a chick a few weeks ago and it killed me too! I never judge but I can't imagine because I did not go into chickens as a business, more of a hobby and now an addiction, lol. I cry when I lose one and spoil every single one of them. That is great to know about the RIR. I have 3 of them and just love them.

Last edited: May 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by