Average low

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicks Galore3, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    What can the average low be for chicks to be transferred to the big girl coop?[​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    That's too broad a question as there are too many variables. You also have to account for the size of the coop, the temp in the coop at night (compared to outside), how much ventilation there is, ambient humidity...and so on. Then there is the age of the chicks, how feathered they are, and how much they have been allowed to acclimatize to the lower temps. If you take them from a brooder kept at 90 and overnight expect them to go outside, you might find that a low of 45 will do them in, whereas if you go from the brooder to an unheated room of your house, to your garage, to days outside, and then to nights, they will have a chance to adjust to lower temps gradually.

3. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Sorry. should have been more specific.[​IMG]

the size is 8x8, ten chickens, all winter hardy. the coop is in a barn, a well ventiled barn, and it is warm in there, because in the winter when we go in there, we can take are hats and gloves off, sometimes our coats. Rabbits and Cats live in there, to. I live in Iowa. I don't have chicks yet. ([​IMG] [​IMG]) but i am workin on where i need to put the brooder, and i want to know how long they need to be in there. if i know the average low, i can estimate how long.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by