1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

average on shipped eggs developing?just candled for the first time on!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rooster1969, Dec 14, 2008.

1. rooster1969

rooster1969 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    hey, i'm very new to the hatching game but i'm learning alot with the very much needed help from everyone on this forum. i've left the lid on from the day i put the eggs in and i candled them tonight on day 12 for the first time as suggested. i had 20 barbanter and 16 buff brahmas in the bator. i had 2 clear brahmas and 8 barbanter eggs i had to throw out. this does'nt sound to bad to me but i dont realy know. my temp and humidity where watched very close , temps have stayed right at 99 to 100 and 28% to 40% on the humidity in the 1588 genises. whats your thougts.

thank's,
    rick

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    hi, that is on in 3.5 avg so far, but for this time of year that is good, and you 1/2 way there. good luck keep info up to date

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Thats 72 % so far, not bad for shipped eggs. Let us know how you do with your hatch. Wish you the best.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Sounds good so far !! Shipped eggs can be much harder then our own eggs !!

[​IMG]

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    What is it that makes shipped egg hatch rates much lower than our own, is it fertility, shipping enviroment and handling ??.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It's not fertility, it's the shipping through the postal service that takes a toll on hatching eggs. They are shaken, dropped, climate temps, any number of things, it's always a gamble to have a hatch with them. I've had zero hatch to 100%. Sometimes I'd like to be alittle mouse in the box with a camera to see what all really goes on from the seller to the buyers house.

7. rooster1969

Oct 24, 2008
    thats what i was wondering i figured the hole bounching around thing could'nt be good on them. i live in Indiana so i tried to get eggs fairly close some came from Tn. and some from Ark. if most of what i have left hatch i'll be pleased for my first hatch. i'm going to leave the lid on until day 18 and keep a close eye on my humidity and temps and then take them out of the turner. i think i'm going to try the egg carton hatching thing it sounds good to me. please correct me if i'm wrong , i should leave the temps alone and raise the humidity to 60%.
    thank's,rick

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Leave your temps alone correct!! You might have to adjust your humidity higher but thats easy just fill the water wells and add a wet sponge, sock or washcloth if needed. Try not to open the bator at all!!

Your temps and humidity will go down for awhile when you take the eggs out of the turner, give them hours to come back to the correct ranges.

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes the shaking of the eggs is the big killer.

Here if you have trouble with the wild geese you may be able to get a permit to shake the eggs so they dont hatch. They have been a big pest in the city parks.

Check air cell on shipped egg, you will find some with broken air cells.

10. rooster1969

Oct 24, 2008
    good ideal i never would of give that a thougt. I was pretty sure about the temps and humidity but it never hurts to ask. if the hatch goes well we should have christmas babies . i know my two little girls are excited so i been watching extra close and asking alot of questions. i know i ask alot of silly questions but you don't know if you don't ask.

thank's to every one!!!!
    rick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by