Average POL time for BCM and Welsummer

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rarebreedeggs4u, Jan 20, 2010.

1. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    My Black Copper Marans and Welsummers are 4 months old. I'm thinking that right about 6 months old should be average POL for them. For those of you with these breeds, is this your experience? When have these girls started laying for you on average? My Penedesencas started right around 6 months old too. Thanks so much for any experience you can share [​IMG]

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    My parent girls were born July 4, 2008....They started laying in Late Dec. 2008.....

Hope this is helpful......I'm looking at some of ours right now, they should be rolling soon! Yeah!

Always love those first eggs, don't you?

3. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    My Wellies always start laying at 6 mos almost spot on. Only ever had one gal drag her feet, she was only about 2 weeks behind the others.

My Marans on the other hand have all started laying at 5.5 mos. and I had one gal start at 5 mos. last year.....imagine my surprise when I went into feed in the grow out pen and ......OOPS there it is! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  4. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    My BCMs are seven months old and just started laying last week. Then again, it's also been a lot colder than normal.

5. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Thanks so much everyone [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by