Average ratio (hen/roo) that expected on straight run chick order?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lakeman, Jan 25, 2010.

1. lakeman

lakeman Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Abbevill SC
    Decided I want to order some straight run leghorn, & sex link chicks, and when they get about frying size cull the roos for the table, and use the pullets for a flock of egg layers. Has anyone have an idea, or ever seen statistics as to what the average ratio of males to females can be expected? What has been your experience?

2. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    It should be 50-50 but if you are lucky you can get more girls then boys but if you aren't then you have more meat to put in the freezer.
    If you don't mind to eat your birds I would go with straight run so you don't have to pay extra for the females.
    but if you want egg layers buy sexed chicks but keep in mind that some times you end up with roosters even if you order females. It is 80 / 90 % accurate
    goodluck

3. lakeman

Jan 22, 2010
    Abbevill SC
    Quote:I would have thought that the ratio would be a larger quantity of females, but I would happier with an equal, or larger number of roos, as I would prefer to eat/freeze a larger quantity of them, as you have to order in amounts of 25, and I do not need that many hens (although there is nothing wrong with frying a pullet).

4. steelersfan43

steelersfan43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    Quote:We ordered "pullets" of buff orps and ended up getting 1 hen and the rest roos. Guess we'll just have to either get more or try our hand at hatching some [​IMG]

5. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I think it depends on what kind of breed you order, what time during the season, and the hatchery. Since, most people want leghorn pullets, I think there is a good possibility you will run higher with cockerels. Now, this is suppose to not happen. But I find it hard to believe that hatcheries don't fill pullet orders first, then straight run.

Leghorns are not much for eating. You would be much better off, imo, ordering half leghorn pullets and half meat birds straight run.

6. anjbagley

anjbagley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Star Valley Wyoming
    I have to agree with the idea that hatcheries take out the pullets first. In my experience so far I always recieved far more roos than hens. In my blue and partrich cochins I ordered only 5 of each and ended up with 1 hen and 4 roos of each color! I have never been 50/50 with any breed. Maybe I'm just unlucky!?!?!

7. lakeman

Jan 22, 2010
    Abbevill SC
    A young leghorn is fine eating, as that is what I was raised on.

8. lakeman

Jan 22, 2010
    Abbevill SC
    Quote:We ordered "pullets" of buff orps and ended up getting 1 hen and the rest roos. Guess we'll just have to either get more or try our hand at hatching some [​IMG]

If I ordered straight run, and received all roosters, I think my next order would go to another supplier, as I doubt that is an honest filling of the order. Of course there is always the possibility that there was an honest mixup at the hatchery, but in that case I would bet they would make it up to you.

9. 7peeplings

7peeplings Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    How old are the roosters (chicks) when they are culled for meat - at the earliest? Are they still 'quiet'? I'm wondering if they already have found their voices before we can tell them apart. I can't have roosters because of city noise regulations, but was going to try to order straight run. Thanks!

10. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Totally depends on the individual as to when they crow -- if you're getting cornish Xs they'll probably be young enough not to make much noise before you butcher, if you go traditional/dual-purpose, they could be making quite a racket because you butcher those considerably later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by