Avian Flu 2022 South Carolina

AmberLittlejohn

Songster
Mar 4, 2019
Upstate South Carolina
Good morning,
I saw that the NCDA&CS has recommended to essentially keep poultry quarantined in their coops for 30 days from yesterday. I live in Western Upstate South Carolina so I kept mine up yesterday. They’re already getting stir crazy. How serious is the risk of them contracting it? How many of you are quarantining your birds? I don’t have a pond that would draw in migrating waterfowl for context. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 239EE1C9-B329-4989-9C62-19A38E448CF2.jpeg
    239EE1C9-B329-4989-9C62-19A38E448CF2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
I need to look up to see if NC is doing anything as far as advising backyard flock keepers. A case was discovered in this state as well. I have a pond and didn't think about it whenever I had geese fly in 2 days ago. Now I'm seriously kicking myself and freaking out a bit. I wish you the very best with your flock.

I need to look up to see if NC is doing anything as far as advising backyard flock keepers. A case was discovered in this state as well. I have a pond and didn't think about it whenever I had geese fly in 2 days ago. Now I'm seriously kicking myself and freaking out a bit. I wish you the very best with your flock.
It was North Carolina that issued the quarantine suggestion. That’s why I was wondering because I know we’ve had a few random reports in South Carolina. I wish your flock the best as well! I know geese are one of the risky transmitters.

It was North Carolina that issued the quarantine suggestion. That’s why I was wondering because I know we’ve had a few random reports in South Carolina. I wish your flock the best as well! I know geese are one of the risky transmitters.
Thank you for the information. I'll have to be sure my ducks don't use the pond. They don't free range but will use the pond if I let them. We have geese here year round (large lakes on the other side of the road) so that's why I didn't think anything of it. I definitely won't be feeding them anymore and will probably try to deter any further visitors.

It’s really bad here in the UK. We’ve been told to keep our birds under cover until spring - since November! In practice I think most people are trying to keep them in more, but having to let them outside sometimes, if only to clean the space.

A run is allowed as long as it has a covered roof, I believe.

There was one case of transmission to a human, but it turned out to be an older man who had a flock of around 20 ducks that he shared his home with. He has recovered fine but the authorities destroyed all his birds and he was quite heartbroken - said they were his family and he didn’t know what to do without them :(

Back
Top Bottom