1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Avian flu scare.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Heineken, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Heineken

Heineken New Egg

Dec 24, 2014
    mission
    Hey there everyone, so I live in mission BC. It seems they have just been putting all these signs around town that say infected area.. With avian flu. I live up in the mountain away from town and there are no signs around my house.. I'm scared cause we are getting our brand new flock in 2 days... Does anyone know if this will affect my babies???

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Hi, There is a long thread on the issue which may make you worry more than it is worth at this point, but I just added a link on page 9 about the basics of biosecurity which can be helpful.. Here is the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/944777/avian-flu-washington-state/80#post_14710992

It would be a good idea to limit your flock's exposure to wild birds, especially migrating water fowl. You might want to consider having a covered chicken run attached to the coop. A covered run can also be good protection from predators, which are probably around in your mountainous area.

Enjoy your new flock.

3. Heineken

Heineken New Egg

Dec 24, 2014
    mission
    Thank you very much scratch-n-peck :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by