Avian flue

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by donkeydew2farms, Mar 23, 2017.

1. donkeydew2farms

donkeydew2farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2014
    hi every one has any one heard about a outbreak of the avian flue here in the states. some one heard about it on the news . I live in South west Ky. I know they had problems in The UK. thanks

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Yes its all over---Some states are already closing down chicken sales I been told.

Summary of confirmed and announced cases:

3/20/17 – Low-path AI (mild H7N9) KY broiler breeders (Christian County) – found on routine testing of flock
    3/16/17 -- High-path AI (H7N9) -- TN broiler breeders (Lincoln County) -- sick bird testing
    3/15/17 – Low-path AI -- AL broiler breeders (Lauderdale County) – found in Quarantine Zone surveillance
    3/15/17 – Low-path AI – AL backyard flock (Madison County) – found in Quarantine Zone surveillance
    3/15/17 – Low-path AI (mild H7N9) – AL backyard flock (Jackson County) – found on flea market surveillance
    3/9/17 -- Low-path AI (mild H7N9) – TN broiler breeders (Giles County) – found on routine testing of flock
    3/7/17 -- Low-path AI (mild H5N2) – WI commercial turkeys (Barron County) – different strain, sick bird testing (depression signs in flock)
    3/5/17 -- High-Path AI (H7N9) – TN broiler breeders (Lincoln County) – sick bird testing (sudden increased mortality), North American wild bird lineage strain

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. donkeydew2farms

donkeydew2farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2014
    thanks PD riverman I live in Christian Co. right outside of crofton. I don.t have a pond but my neighbor has one. my ducks and chicken stay around they go into my pasture and are pen up at nite. I have song birds and black birds that eat the duck feed how do you protect your flock ?

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    This is some of what my state sent out.

How to protect your flock? See the biosecurity information below. What activities are you doing now that can track AI or any disease back to your flock?

Keep it AWAY -- Keep your poultry flock away from other poultry & wild birds. Keep your poultry and pet ducks and geese AWAY from wild ducks and geese and their environment – ponds, lakes and swampy areas. Also watch that you do not track the wild waterfowl Low-Path AI or High-Path AI virus back to your flock if you are in the same wild waterfowl environment or hunting wild waterfowl. Buy new birds from a reputable source. Keep new birds separated from your established home flocks for 30 days. Keep pests (rodents, raccoons, opossums) out of bird pens. Keep visitors out of your bird areas – what may they be carrying on their feet, clothing or vehicles?

Keep it CLEAN -- Clean cages & coops. Clean any equipment first before it comes onto your property. Wear designated farm shoes and clothing to care for your birds. Change food & water daily. Wash your vehicles/trailers after visiting other poultry facilities and before you come home – go through a car wash.

1 person likes this.
  5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    It's an issue in TN and AL currently.
    Here in AL the chicken swaps and anything where you might comingle birds from different homes are not allowed.
    Biosecurity is your best protection - don't let your birds mingle with others, either wild or birds that aren't yours. And don't let other bird people on your property without sanitizing them first (same if you go to another property).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by