1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

AVIAN INFLUENZA BLOOD TEST

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cheeptrick, Nov 26, 2007.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Hi all,
    It's been awhile since I've posted...been busy! BUT I was inquiring with the State of NH about selling eggs. They told me that there is a federal grant that states can apply for to pay for blood tests for Avian Influenza. They are coming out to my house to test my flock of 20 for FREE!! So I just wanted to share this bit of FREE veterninary testing! So call your state Farm Bureau and check to see if they are offering the free Avian Influenza testing.
    Below is the information for NH.

Division of Animal Industry:

Telephone: (603) 271-2404
    Stephen K. Crawford
    State Veterinarian
    email: [email protected]

Cynthia M. Heisler
    Administrative Secretary
    email: [email protected]

[​IMG]

2. buc

buc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    You are right, The State of Kansas was awarded the same kind of grant money from the Fed's, this past summer they came out and tested my chickens and my Turkeys.

This was helpful because my son was showing two of the Turkeys at the County Fair and they needed to be tested prior to being allowed to be showed.

3. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Ok...the state vet tech came out this morning and bled all the birds. He sanitized his equipment and boots before entering the coop...which made me relieved. The bloody snow was a little much for the kiddos...but it was only a small amount. They will test for Typoid/Pullorum and Avian Flu. I will get a report mailed to me in the mail. I asked what happens if Avian Flu is found in a flock or area near here what will happen to my birds? He stated nothing would happen...but someone would come out to swab the birds. He also stated I should NOT bring my birds anywhere...or show them EVER...which I agree because I don't want any cross contamination. My girls are happy and fine...the tech did drop 2 scalpel blades in the RUN....GROAN [​IMG] I raked around hoping he didn't drop any others.
    It was a free test...which the State of NH pays for. NICE [​IMG]

4. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    OH....he also put leg bands on each bird. Which after a clean bill of health ARE COMING OFF!! [​IMG]

5. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Cool info! Thanks for sharing. That's great that it is free for the testing. I'll have to look into in my area.

Don't you just love your EE? They have so much personality. I have 5 EE pullets. I love all my chickens, but my EE are the sweetest and have the most personality.

6. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Smitty's Farm....I LOVE my birds so much. They are very sweet and so good with my 3 children. BEST PET...EVER.
    They give back...fertilize my garden and lawn, lay eggs, and LOVE us all up for scratch. I have one (a wheaten colored one) that we call our MONTY PYTHON chicken. She lays double yolkers quite frequently and will ACTUALLY come and get me when she lays. She sits by the door and waits for the door to open and THEN she BOLTS in. She is highly effective at begging for treats!! LOL
    We LOVE em too!! [​IMG]

7. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:I agree! They are my favoite! I thought I had ordered Araucana/Ameraucana that lays blue eggs. I had ordered the chics before I found this website that raises the awareness of the true breed. But, I don't care, b/c they are really special and I LOVE MINE ALSO. They are my daughters favorites also. Very cuddly......like kitty cats. They love attention. We get pretty diff shades of green eggs. Some olive, some minty colored, and some that have a slight blue tinge. My favoite girl, Brownie, lays a pinkish tan.

That is so cute how Monty will come and get you when she lays. Mine run to the run gate if I walk out back thinking they will be getting food. They've been in covered run until afternoon b/c of Hawks.

8. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    This is interesting, I thought every state tested birds the same way.

I've never heard of them using a scalpel. I would like to know the procedure they did.
    Here, USDA tests for pullorum/typhoid and Texas Animal Health Commission tests for avian flu.

When they test for pullorum/typhoid here, there is no scalpel & no blood on the ground.
    Only a small tool with a sharp point at one end and a small wire loop at the other. It is about 6 inches long.

The USDA man pokes the bird's blood vein on the underside of one wing. (like when they take a blood sample from your finger). There is a drop of blood, which he takes the wire loop end and whisks it onto his plastic board that he has already put drops of the liquid test solution. If there is no reaction, the bird is clean of pullorum/typhoid. The USDA man gives me a clean report when he is done, with all the breeds I have listed.
    I don't know exactly what happens if there is a reaction, since I haven't had any blood that reacted.
    I was told that if the chickens are too young, there may be a false reaction, that is why they only test birds that are at least 15 weeks old.

To test for avian flu, someone from Texas Animal Health Commission comes out and swabs the chickens throat with a long Q-tip. He then puts up to 5 swabs in a vile of liquid, seals it and puts it in a styrofoam case and then into a cooler to ship to New York, can't remember the islands name they ship to off the coast of NY.

Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by