Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Wait people come and kill your chickens for no reason?
No, not for "no reason".
What’s the symptoms in chickens for it?
1642625578725.png

And in the face of something like exotic Newcastle, or highly pathogenic avian influenza, culling whole flocks does save lives, compared to letting it spread much further.
We are also too close to having African Swine Fever here, BTW. Look that one up if you want another bad story.
It's 'One World', and that's not always a good thing, when it comes to the spread of diseases.
Mary

I heard about the New Castle scare in CA and read about people's birds being culled. Tragic. 😔
I did a school project on New Castle Disease a hundred years ago. It was awful.
It's 'One World', and that's not always a good thing, when it comes to the spread of diseases.
Mindsets also come to mind.

“[..]Although personally, I think cyberspace means the end of our species.” “Yes? Why is that?” “Because it means the end of innovation,” Malcolm said. “This idea that the whole world is wired together is mass death. Every biologist knows that small groups in isolation evolve fastest. You put a thousand birds on an ocean island and they’ll evolve very fast. You put ten thousand on a big continent, and their evolution slows down. Now, for our own species, evolution occurs mostly through our behavior. We innovate new behavior to adapt. And everybody on earth knows that innovation only occurs in small groups.

Put three people on a committee and they may get something done. Ten people and it gets harder. Thirty people and nothing happens. Thirty million, it becomes impossible. That’s the effect of mass media – it keeps anything from happening. Mass media swamps diversity. It makes every place the same. Bangkok or Tokyo or London: there’s a McDonald’s on one corner, a Benetton on another, a Gap across the street. Regional differences vanish. All differences vanish. In a mass-media world, there’s less of everything except the top ten books, records, movies, ideas.

People worry about losing species diversity in the rainforest. But what about intellectual diversity – our most necessary resource? That’s disappearing faster than trees. But we haven’t figured that out, so now we’re planning to put five billion people together in cyberspace. And it’ll freeze the entire species. Everything will stop dead in its tracks. Everyone will think the same thing at the same time. Global uniformity. [..]”
― Dr. Ian Malcolm (fictional character by Michael Crichton, The Lost World)

Oh no! This is not good. Hyde County NC is where Lake Mattamaskeet is. Many species of birds over winter there. Thousands of Tundra Swan, ducks, geese and other shore birds. They will be leaving late winter - early spring. Please, please, please don't let it get in there.
I've been there many times, all those swans are just breathtaking. A bird lovers paradise. :hit

Back
Top Bottom