Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Was reading a news article about this Pennsylvania flock and it says -

A duck and chickens from a flock in Upper Mount Bethel Township in Northampton County were confirmed to be infected after a dead turkey vulture was found on the property. Wild birds are known to be the source of the infection elsewhere.
https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/Agriculture_details.aspx?newsid=1237

Was reading a news article about this Pennsylvania flock and it says -

A duck and chickens from a flock in Upper Mount Bethel Township in Northampton County were confirmed to be infected after a dead turkey vulture was found on the property. Wild birds are known to be the source of the infection elsewhere.
https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/Agriculture_details.aspx?newsid=1237
Quite surprising after the high temperatures recently.
I am dreading the start of the migration south.

Maybe the buzzards can tolerant the virus enough to be longer-term carriers.
There's been mention some types of ducks don't seem to die from it but carry it around with them. Also it's gotten into some mammals which seem to die but many birds of prey eat them, so it goes on. :(

There's been mention some types of ducks don't seem to die from it but carry it around with them. Also it's gotten into some mammals which seem to die but many birds of prey eat them, so it goes on. :(
Yep! You're spot on. Mallard derived ducks can become infected and oftentimes don't show any signs and they're able to clear the virus. The not so wonderful part is that they tend to shed a higher load of virus than other birds.

Last edited:
Yesterday I saw a Pectoral Sandpiper at the beach. They leave the tundra and have a brief stop-over here on their way back south. It's only a hundred yards or so from the beach to my mallard-derived ducks. But, it happens every year and there haven't been any local cases so far. It's fun to contemplate and worry a little bit about such things.

Last edited:
Saw this article with misinformation.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4535095-hpai-in-the-us

The line that made me scratch my head:
“The recommended form of action is culling, which is a rapid depopulation of infected birds in order to minimize the spread of HPAI to healthier members of the flock.”

Oh, so if one member of your flock gets it, they let the rest of your flock live? News to me and all the backyard keepers who had their whole property of birds depopulated….

The other thing not mentioned, it hasn’t affected broilers because they are only raised for a few weeks. Much harder to infect a flock that doesn’t exist for an extended time…

I've also seen news articles that have included misinformation. Not good, huh?

The other thing not mentioned, it hasn’t affected broilers because they are only raised for a few weeks. Much harder to infect a flock that doesn’t exist for an extended time…
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this part...🤔

There has been many commercial broiler facilities infected and depopulated. 3 were here in NC. You can enter search words on the aphis site. I count at least 12 sites in several different states.

I'm sorry if I'm not understanding correctly. :)

I've also seen news articles that have included misinformation. Not good, huh?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this part...🤔

There has been many commercial broiler facilities infected and depopulated. 3 were here in NC. You can enter search words on the aphis site. I count at least 12 sites in several different states.

I'm sorry if I'm not understanding correctly. :)
Just giving an explanation to the article saying that broilers production hasn’t decreased & there isn’t as much of a shortage in stores as there is with eggs. To get a new group of layers, it will take 4-5 months. To get broilers ready for the store less than 2 months.

Back
Top Bottom