Avian necropsy, anyone sent off a chicken before??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lickskillet, Apr 22, 2009.

1. lickskillet

lickskillet *Home of the Shoveler*

Jan 16, 2009
    Kentucky
    I would like some info on how things are done. I had a hen who passed away just under an hour ago and want to send her to the nearest University that does this. I'm just wondering what all it entails. I have put her in the freezer for now, I didn't know if she needed to be kept (fresh)?? Thanks for any knowledge on this!

2. Umbral_Necropolitan

Umbral_Necropolitan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Bakersfield, California
    Don't know about necropsy procedure, but for human corpses cold temperatures help preserve bodies. The better shape the corpse the easier it would be to find a cause of death, since decomps tend to have warped/damaged features.

3. AnniesEggFarm

AnniesEggFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    I have... and am also a veterinary nurse.
    1st... TAKE HER OUT OF THE FREEZER!!!! IT DESTROYS CELLS
    2nd.. This sounds weird wash her throughly with dish soap, to break down the down in the feathers to stop retaining heat. (only use cold water)
    3rd... soak her throughly in cold water to bring her temp down.
    4th.... put her in the refrigerator.
    5th... get her to lab a.s.a.p.

Jenn

4. greenesacres

greenesacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Kentucky
    Contact your county extention agent. Ours told us to refrigerate the bird. I took it to her a couple of days later and she dropped it off at UK. Several questions to answer and you show get the results in about a week.

5. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Do you have a veterinarian? S/he probably has the phone # of the closest diagnostic lab that will do this.
    Definitely refrigerate, not freeze the bird!

6. lickskillet

Jan 16, 2009
    Kentucky
    I also posted this question on the EMERGENCY section. I have already taken her out of the freezer(before she was frozen) and put her in the fridge (that is what the other BYCer's told me to do). I'm calling UofK (the closest that does this) at eight in the morning. I have aslo printed out the form and filled it out from their website. So she will be shipped tomorrow, as I 'm more than an hour away from the University. Thanks you guys/gals, I apprectiate the time you took to post your info for me!!! Thanks again!

AnniesEggFarm No one else mentioned washing her? Hmmmm....

Called the local ext. office, they said call UofK! LOL

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  7. AnniesEggFarm

Mar 23, 2009
    Oh yes... Take it to a vet, preferably a vet that deals with avian. If it is clear on a gross necropsy what went wrong they will stop there. Otherwise they will take samples and send them off (it may cost a few hundred dollars) but worth it if it means the prevention of the loss of your flock.

Jenn

8. lickskillet

Jan 16, 2009
    Kentucky
    AnniesEggFarm Local vet. has chickens, but doesn't really treat other than the answer for everything is Baytril.

CAN'T SPELL! DUH!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  9. AnniesEggFarm

Mar 23, 2009
    I was told by my state vet (also a avid chicken lover) to wash them if you find them soon after death. Chickens normally run a temp of about 108 or so which means they decompse VERY fast. The only way to stop that is to wash them in cold water and soap (to remove the protective oils that help retain heat on the feathers). If you just place them in the refrigerator the down and feathers will continue to retain the heat and continue decompsing..... I always send my chickens out and feel that my sources are very reliable and have always also had no problems getting results from the lab.... [​IMG]

Jenn

10. AnniesEggFarm

Mar 23, 2009
    I think if you have access to a university, that is even better than a local vet.... Especially one who's answers to everything is baytril... [​IMG]
    I am very lucky to work in the field I work in and have access that I have... I have xrayed, stiched up, gave fluids etc... to my ladies... I work in a ER and specialty prac. my docs love a challenge... [​IMG]

Jenn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by