Avian Pox?! Help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrsHall28, Aug 24, 2014.

1. MrsHall28

MrsHall28 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2014
    I found a diseased grakle(not sure about spelling) eating our cats food in the backyard. We caught it and took it in to a wildlife refuge place. The lady there told us it was a bird pox. How worried should I be? They told us to bleach all of the chikens stuff, but I'm sure they drank out of the same water already.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Bleach the waterers and feeders as they suggested. Transmission of the virus can take place through contact with infected birds, contaminated feeders/waterers, or most likely mosquito bites. Don't worry - just be observant and prepare to deal with a possible problem. Good luck.

3. MrsHall28

MrsHall28 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2014
    Thanks for your quick response! If they do get it (which I'm hoping they don't) is there anything I can do? Any treatments? Can they get over it or is it a death sentence : (

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Avian pox is generally not a 'death sentence' - keep infected birds quarantined if possible, and keep them eating and drinking. The pox will eventually run it's course.

1 person likes this.
  5. jrfromri

jrfromri New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    Does this look like Avian Pox? We are two months past mosquito season so I'm surprised to see it now. I have 11 hens, almost every one of them has this, egg production is still good.

6. jrfromri

jrfromri New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    Disregard the previous post, the photos I inserted somehow did not come out in the post.

7. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Can you post a pic?? Does it look like this example??
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by