1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Avian pox or fly bites? *Pics added!*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Whitewinterwolf, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    *Pics to come tomorrow*
    She has three black dotts on the top of her comb, and then two black dots on one of her wattles. But none on any of my other birds?
    Now we do have some nasty deer flys that dont leave you alone at all...
    They arent warts, they arent white, and they just look like scabs. No scratching, and they dont seem to bother her at all?
    Shes a buff Orpington if that counts.
    Im just a bit paranoid ever since I read up on the disease, and if it is Avian pox what do? And if it is Deer flys what do I do?
    There really bad pictures, my camera
    There really small.
    But are they lethal? And what can I do to get rid of it???
    (Look closly at her wattle, you can just see it. I am working on better pictures)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Sounds like the dry pox but def pictures would help. Sometimes it can take a while before it travels through your whole flock. You can dab the scabs with iodine and it will help them dry up faster. Just keep an eye out cause the dry pox can turn into the wet pox quickly... I've just gone through this!!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Like Barred Babies, I've dealt with fowl pox as well. Not much you can do but let it run its course, it'll take a few weeks to pass. Watch out for secondary infections and treat accordingly with neosporin if it's external. We have deer and yellow flies here as well. They are active during daylight hours. You should be able to see them bothering your chickens if this is the case. My chickens love to snip at them for a quick snack. Yellow flies tend to go after their legs, the chickens will look down in between their legs looking for the biting pest. If it's fly bites, put a thin coat of neosporin on their combs and wattles as a barrier to prevent biting flies. You can also put a thin coating of Rooster Booster brand black salve or Nu-Stock on their combs and wattles for protection. Careful with the Nu-Stock, it's runny and try not to get it or the Rooster Booster black salve in their eyes.

4. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Ok, they just look like little scabs? I really wish the pictures would come out better, but you can just see it on her wattle.
    Just put neosprin on it? Will that make it go away?

5. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Ok, they just look like little scabs? I really wish the pictures would come out better, but you can just see it on her wattle.

That top part of the comb, is that like a blister looking thing?? It's hard to see in the pic!!

6. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts

That top part of the comb, is that like a blister looking thing?? It's hard to see in the pic!!

yeah I know the pictures are really bad, she has a crooked fat comb, thats why it looks the way it does *Goes off to try and take better pictures*

7. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Here are some better pictures:
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Looks like dry pox and a mild case at that. Iodine will help the scabs dry up faster!! Here is my rooster that had it BAD! This is how he looked when I left for vacation on the 21st.!! And when I can home Friday he looked perfectly normal, couldn't even tell he ever had it!!!

[​IMG]

9. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Oh phew...I was worried it was life threatening T_T

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by