Avian pox

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alina28, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Alina28

Alina28 Songster

Dec 28, 2017
    So a pair of my ayam cemanis got avian pox recently. I sepearated them as soon as i noticed and its been around 25 days since then. The avian pox didn't affect them in any way at all. Now the scabs have fallen out and white marks are left behind. Is it now safe to put them back with the others?

Attached Files:

2. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Yes, it's safe. I honestly don't isolate birds with pox unless they are so ill that they might get attacked. Since the mosquitos that usually cause it are everywhere, they are all at risk of exposure anyway. Once they recover they have some resistance to that pox strain, so should not get it again. The white marks will fade with time.

Alina28 likes this.
  3. Alina28

Alina28 Songster

Dec 28, 2017
    Thanks a lot for replying. :)
    This was the first time one of my chickens got infected with avian pox so i didn't really knew much. One more of my chickens got avian pox. Though she does not look or act like a sick chicken at all she has a few black moles things like on her face and feet due to which i separated her and she is not happy at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: