Avian sarcoma leukosis/diseases of commercial stock in backyard flocks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Resolution, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

Anyone want to talk about Avian Leukosis or any other scourge of commercial hatcheries coming to a poultry yard near you?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. ProudNewChickenMommy86

ProudNewChickenMommy86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    Acworth, Ga
    You Just Spoke Chinese To Me Lol What The Crap Is That??

3. Resolution

Quote:禽白血病

If you bought any freedom rangers or cornish cross you brought 禽白血病 home with you.

4. ProudNewChickenMommy86

ProudNewChickenMommy86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    Acworth, Ga
    Ok Ok Ok Lol Lol I Don't Believe I Have. But Out Of Curiosity... What The Crap Is It?

5. Resolution

It's an exceedingly common disease that is passed down vertically, that is, from egg to chick, nearly synonymous with meat birds. It's one of the more genuine factors that prevent the vast majority Cornish Crosses from surviving past fifteen weeks. Moreover, it is nearly impossible to vaccinate for as there are so many different antibiotic resistant strains. Symptoms generally won't appear until after the 12th week or so and many homesteaders and small farmers are experiencing a real tragedy at their USDA processing (slaughter houses) facilities as the birds which appear symptomatic for the disease, ( all internal) are condemned. Even more disconcerting is the fact that a very large number of commercial layers, Buff Orpingtons and the new super layer strains will often also test positive for the disease, with their immune systems succumbing in their second-fourth years It's so common that it borders on the alarming.

6. Resolution

I'm a bit surprised no one is ready to talk about infectious disease in backyard flocks...

7. mstrrlm

mstrrlm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Picayune, MS
    FIRST of all NEVER listen to or even read the garbage that is the Huff Po crap. That was your first mistake, but if you promise to never do it again we will forgive you. And you are in Quray County which is close I love Quray the town and LOVE it so that goes in your favor also.

8. Resolution

Quote:The BBC published it first and the same article was published in the International Poultry Journal before that...Dare I ask what's wrong with Huffington Post? Ah- it's progressive, liberal, "left-leaning". Took me a moment to contemplate on that. Colorado ROCKS!

Regardless, I'm concerned about avian leukosis and would like to hear from any homesteaders that discovered the disease was present in their meat birds from USDA inspectors at processing facilities.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  9. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The BBC published it first and the same article was published in the International Poultry Journal before that...Dare I ask what's wrong with Huffington Post? Ah- it's progressive, liberal, "left-leaning". Took me a moment to contemplate on that. Colorado ROCKS!

Regardless, I'm concerned about avian leukosis and would like to hear from any homesteaders that discovered the disease was present in their meat birds from USDA inspectors at processing facilities.

there is nothing on the BBC site [​IMG]

10. mstrrlm

mstrrlm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Picayune, MS
    Dare I ask what's wrong with Huffington Post? Ah- it's progressive, liberal, "left-leaning". Took me a moment to contemplate on that. Colorado ROCKS!

Correct!!!!![​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by