Avian Vet in Central Indiana

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pgras123, Oct 20, 2008.

1. pgras123

pgras123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Greenfield Indiana
    I tried to google for a chicken/avian [​IMG] vet in my area and could not find anything. I just want to pay for a vet visit to check out the new 6 birds before I put them with the healthy 9. They have been in quarentine for over 2 weeks and 30 days is getting close, anyone know any vets for chickens in central indiana that will make a house call?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    You could try your state vet and see if they know anyone. Also, farm and exotic vets are your best option..check out the local yellow pages. I found a great exotic vet by calling around, that comes to our farm if necessary (but we're in PA).

http://www.usaha.org/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

Jody

3. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Easiest way to find a vet who will see birds is by calling the ones who don't see birds. Call your local vets, most towns have at least one or two---ask the receptionist who they would refer one of their clients to if the person had a sick bird, if the person who answers does not know- ask them right then and there if they can ask the rest of the staff. Don't let them take a message and get back to you....Almost all vet hospitals have someone working there with a rescued bird or two- and they probably know all of the local or not so local resources for avian veterinary expertise.

4. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Call Purdue! They have a great set-up and will help you. I had them do necropsies for me last year.

5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I have called Purdue University and gotten help. They have an excellent poultry dept.
    Maybe they could refer you to nearest vet that will see your birds.
    These "country" vets should treat all farm animals. [​IMG]
    good luck...

6. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Carole, We posted at same time!
    I am maybe 45 minutes from Lafayette and used to work for them...Out of the Extension Office in Fountain Co.

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I found the one I went to at the Echo Haven Parrot Sanctuary site. "toolady" keeps a list of avain vets by state there. It's not comprehensive, and not updated often, but you may find a place to start.

8. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    They were so helpful at Purdue, even though I sacrificed some live birds to find out what they had....the state vet even came here to see us afterwards.

If it wasn't so far, I'd love to work there.

9. CoolClucker

CoolClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Central USA
    Purdue has a poultry program? And they see sick chickens? I have a hen that isn't well and I'm trying to find a place to take her. Can you tell me what they charge? Can they help her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by