Aviary anyone??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Big Dreamer, May 11, 2011.

1. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Does anyone have an aviary for their button quail? or for any other Monogama (I think thats what it is..its where they pair up right??) quail species out there?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Buttons are very susceptible to temperature changes so most people keep them indoors. However, if your aviary is big enough I don't see why you couldn't have a few pairs together in an aviary. If I ever get mine built I plan to try and see if it's doable [​IMG]

3. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Well I was planning on having 1 pair in my room in an indoor aviary that was big enough for 3 pairs so they would have a lot of room and i would put sand as the ground. I wanted to get Buttons so I wanted some ideas for an aviary! [​IMG] I have an idea, but i wanted to see what other people had in mind!! Cuz I'm just cool like that [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would think in an aviary setting you would have to allow at least 6 sq. ft. per pair. That would be an area 2' x 3'. That might be enough room to keep them from fighting.

5. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Well Dang then ill just have enough for 1 pair!! That would be too much space! I wanted to simulate their natural environment so where do they come from? like are they tropical woodland or what?

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They are from China and are in warm areas. I'm not sure about the humidity though...quailladyoffortmyers should know.

ETA: You can keep buttons in pretty small spaces as pairs but when you have more than one pair together you really want to make sure they have plenty of room.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  7. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Oh..well i was thinking of sand for the bottom so everyday i could just sand sift it. Then i wanted to either plant real plants but i dont know what would grow in sand...or just put fake plants so they wouldnt destroy them..if they do that? so gimme ideas about the setup cuz i have no idea..i would want it to be as realistic as possible so no plastic bowls or waterers. i need GOOOOOD ideas..hmmmmm

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If you put real plants in there they will eat them. You could use a soil below the sand to plant the plants in. As for a waterer, what do you plan to use if not plastic? I doubt you could make a pond in a small cage.

9. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    I was thinking maybe one of those waterfountains that are REALLY small for reptiles and it look as natural and i could just put pretty rocks in it so that they dont get in too deep but still have a nice flowing water source that i can just add water to when i need to! I think i would just put fake plants in like fake bamboo and them like asiatic fake plants and make it look really asain!!! LIKE ME!! and then put a buddah thing in there!! O.M.G I just got the best idea. If i got a buddah thing and then it was hollow i could cut into it and make that like the house thing!!!!!! Im excited if you didnt know!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Any thoughts on that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by