1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aviary > Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chaks1, Feb 3, 2017.

1. chaks1

chaks1 New Egg

Feb 3, 2017
    Hi

I'm attempting to convert an 8x5ft former aviary into a chicken coop and run and looking for advice. I'm a beginner so thanks for any help you can offer appreciated and sorry if I'm asking a stupid question.

My main problem is the base of the aviary is wire, with a gap below and trays underneath for easy cleaning. Obviously that is not going to be comfortable for chickens to walk around on and scratch, so I need to somehow convert this to a flat surface that I can put straw down on.

I am considering laying wooden boards over the trays, so when I come to clean I can remove the boards and let the waste drop down and clean out through the trays.

OR I forget the tray system altogether and fill the whole base with sand to give them a sand base, which is sounds life for a lot of people has been a good base, but then I'm not sure how I clean.

What do you think, and do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks BYC

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! Pictures will help here, and wire is definitely not a good base for chickens. Waste won't really fall through it, either. Can you rebuild it with a solid floor? Pictures and dimensions are needed to give good advise! Mary

3. chaks1

chaks1 New Egg

Feb 3, 2017
    Thanks Mary. I'll take some pictures and upload.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Ditto on the pics....also what is your climate?
    Putting your location in your profile can help folks give better answers/suggestions.

How many chickens do you plan on having?
    Are they for eggs, pets, meat?

5. chaks1

chaks1 New Egg

Feb 3, 2017
    Here are some pics [​IMG]

6. chaks1

chaks1 New Egg

Feb 3, 2017
    [​IMG]

7. chaks1

chaks1 New Egg

Feb 3, 2017
    [​IMG]

8. chaks1

chaks1 New Egg

Feb 3, 2017
    [​IMG]

9. chaks1

chaks1 New Egg

Feb 3, 2017
    So you can see the problem...need to get a different floor in there but difficult to rebuild because of the whole set up. This is an inherited aviary from the previous owner.

10. chaks1

chaks1 New Egg

Feb 3, 2017
    I'm in California and I'm planning on getting 2 or possibly 3 chickens. The aviary is 8ftx5ft

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by