Aviary ideas, post pics

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by degan, Sep 9, 2010.

1. degan

degan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Arnprior, Ontario
    I am building an outdoor aviary for my peafowl, I will be using a 12x20 carport frame, leaving the canvas roof on and using 1 inch netting on the sides. I need ideas to make it look cool and fun for the birds. I don't have a predator problem so I want to keep the sides in the netting. Do I need to also have a enclosure for them to go in? Should I build some perches, what material should I use. Any pictures or ideas would be great. Right now I have them in a chicken coop but its too far from the house to see the birds.

2. coloradopeafowl

coloradopeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Lakewood, CO
    You definately need something for them to get up on at night, especially during the winter so they don't get frostbite.

3. degan

degan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Arnprior, Ontario
    So you think I'll I will need is some perches for them and I won't have to build a hut for them to go in?

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

A friend of ours uses the car ports And has landscape timbers hanging down for roosts, but we are in Eastern, NC and our winters are nothing like yours. I would think yours would need some type of enclosure to get out of the wind and keep somewhat warmer. There are other members that live in the colder areas i'm sure they will jump in.

One thing about the carports I have noticed at our friends is she has them fenced totaly under the port they can't really get out into the sun. I just looked out the window here and 3 of ours are all dustbathing and lounging in the direct sun.

Steve

5. degan

degan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Arnprior, Ontario
    I thought about that too. But I think the carport is high enought that the sun will shine under it at different spots during the day. What do you thing about using only the netting for the sides? Are there any cool things I can put in the avairy to entertain the birds. The bottom will be grass and I was thinking of putting three perches at increasing hights so they can hop from on to another.

6. degan

degan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Arnprior, Ontario
    I'm hoping some of you guys will post pictures of where your pea's live!

7. Shepicca

Shepicca Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    It is too cold here in Ontario in the winter to use just netting for the sides. You need to put up at the very least a tarp so they can get out of the wind. At least one of their perches should be a 2x4 on it's fat side so they can use their body to keep their feet warm so they don't freeze their toes off during the winter. Other perches can be small trees 2-3 inches in diameter.
    You are lucky you don't have a predator problem. I thought foxes, coyotes and raccoons were fairly rampant in all of Ontario.

Irene

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I think you should use these for windows. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. shchinchillas

shchinchillas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    PA
    Our roost is made of 2 8" square boards roughly 12' in length, placed 1' into the ground. The actual area they roost on is a 2x4 with the longer/flat end down so they won't freeze over winter--about 6' off the ground. Gives them 6' from the ground, and another 3' above them to roost. It's most likely about 6' in length as well. Large enough for the 2 peacocks and 3 muscovy ducks to perch at night together, with room to spare.

Our actual pen is 25ft x 25ft. They have a small "lean to" type house now as it's warm out, but we are constructing an 8ftx8ftx8ft house for them, that will be attached to the outside so it doesn't take up room.... Next spring we will be adding onto the outside space. We used the wire horse fencing 8' tall for them and flight netting on the top of the pen, peaking to 12' near the roost.

10. degan

degan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Arnprior, Ontario
    We do have predators in Ontario it just that are farm is very flat and has very little trees for cover and we have a big dog that roams free all day so no critters want to take the chance.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by