Aviary netting... need help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Jan 27, 2011.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Hi all I just got 2 European Shelducks and need to find some aviary netting, approx 25' x 50' or so, where do I find this? It doesn't seem like any of my local stores have it, and it's all very expensive on eBay and other shopping sites...

Thanks!

2. greekbioguy

greekbioguy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2010
    shellducks are very nice looking birds . you will love them
    netting is not very safe because animals can chew through it i would sugest chicken wire supported on wooden frames

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    WOW beautiful aviary!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The first 5' from the ground up is chainlink. Only the top will be covered by the netting. We don't have predators around here + I have LGD's.

4. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Endurance nets: Polypropylene knitted nets 25x50 breaking strength 80lb. $78 plus shipping Polyethylene knotted nets 35x50 75lb. breaking strength $72 plus shipping.
    If you can i would look in local papers/craigslist for used netting or auctions that have old bird farmers stuff. I got my net from a hunting resort for free (helps if you know the guy [​IMG] ) but he was getting rid of the netting and etc. because he no longer used the pens. The net itself is in great condition for being used and it saved me a lot of money.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  5. HottentotTeal

HottentotTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
  6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Quote:I got mine from 3Tproducts. I am very pleased with it. [​IMG]

7. greekbioguy

Dec 25, 2010
    Quote:breaking strength has nothing to do with resistance to being chewed by sharp predator teeth. plastic polypropylene and polyethylene is a piece of cake for any fox or other animals(for example rats love to eat plastic, dogs too) . no animal would try to chew metal chicken wire because it will shred its gums and mouth to pieces. i don't think that predators push nets to cheque their breaking strength unless u have strong toothless predators around

i have raised ducks and other birds as a hobby for 15 years now and i have come to the conclusion that the only safe (predator proof )materials used to built an aviary are :
    brick walls
    stones built
    cement
    and metal chicken wire
    even wood is not safe (wood is softer than claws and teeth)
    try to use materials harder than teeth and your ducks will be safe so u dont have to worry about their well being

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  8. greekbioguy

Dec 25, 2010
    Quote:thank you these are actually two aviaries the first one is my duck aviary in my frond yard and the second one my pheasant aviary in my back yard

9. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

10. linda_zeagler31002

linda_zeagler31002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Adrian, Georgia
    FarmTek.com I have catalog they have great prices

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by