Aviary Questions

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by ownedbymybird, Oct 17, 2016.

1. ownedbymybird

ownedbymybird Just Hatched

Oct 10, 2016
    I want to build an outside aviary for by amazon parrot. Not for full time maybe just during the day in the spring, summer, and some fall. I would have it heated. Probably not very big because I would like it on our deck right outside the upstairs door. So maybe 5 foot tall, 2 foot wide, and 3 foot long. Does this work? And any other ideas?

2. ownedbymybird

Oct 10, 2016
    Hello, I know there is many with beautiful aviaries

3. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    5x2x3 is a large cage rather than a aviary.

You know your bird better than we do so make a plan based on what you think your bird will enjoy. Some birds don't like to fly and some will not go down on the floor so your design should be based on what your bird likes to do.

What ever design you come up with you will have to consider safety first:

No mesh that the birds claws can get trapped in,
    The cage/aviary must be affixed to prevent being tipped over,
    Predator proofing including a solid wall on the back,
    All materials should be bird safe.

A idea size aviary would be about 8 wide, 6 deep and 6.5 high (depends how tall you are) if the bird likes to fly. (most single birds would probably just hang around in one spot as they have no reason to fly). Some of my smaller parrots just like to sit and watch the world go by so they are just as happy in a large cage when they are outside.

4. ownedbymybird

Oct 10, 2016
    Yeah..... I just want something so he can get out of the house sometimes, get some air and sun (not too much of course) and get used to different things. He is not a big flyer. Only if hes out and wants to go back to his cage. But his wings are clipped most of the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by