Aviary thought and dreams

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by poultry bro, Feb 7, 2015.

1. poultry bro

poultry bro Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2014
    Hey was up yall I know this may sound crazy but today I was thinking about this idea about an aviary I wanted to dig a ditch and build a concrete pony wall and make a large cage on top anyway I wanted to get that bamboo that grows 3 feet a day and plant it in their and then get a small barn like shelter I can stand up in then get some animals like pet rats, guinea pigs, pheasants, and quail the put them in there not all together but make a few structures and house the animals separately but I wanted to see what yall thought about this I thought I was cool but I wanted to see if it was possible.

2. Jrose

Jrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    Cool is one thing. Feasible is another.

Bamboo, for instance, is a very costly thing to get into. Don't do it right and it can easily take over and destroy buildings and concrete. Concrete will not keep bamboo rhizomes from spreading.

Building or buying any small barn can easily rack up $500-$2,000 or more. I built a 100 sq ft coop with no insulation out of mostly reclaimed materials, but the screws, roofing panels, and linoleum flooring that I had to buy still cost $100.

Then there's obtaining the knowledge on how to care for an array of animals. What are their needs? What do the eat? How much will it cost per month to feed them? Cutting corners on nutrition leads to health problems. What happens when an animal gets injured or ill? Do you have the expertise to care for them or will you pay a vet? Does this combination of animals have potential communicable disease problems? Do you plan on breeding? If so, do you know about reproductive health, genetics, gestation, delivery, birthing complication strategies, what supplies to have on hand, and how to care for the young? Do you have an outlet for the babies if you can't keep them all? And further yet, do you need permits or licensing to breed and keep these animals in your state or county? Are you prepared to hire help if you are unable to care for them (vacation, injury, etc)?

I'd start by adressing these basics on paper and see if it's something worth pursuing!

3. poultry bro

Oct 4, 2014
    Yes you are right and even though it sounds like I am just getting started I have been researching these animals for three years and I have no problems with money I did not know about the spreading power of the bamboo so thanks for that but the reason I said I would make several of these is for two reasons one is that rodents for example can pick up internal and external mites from bird droppings and pheasants tend to pick on quail because they are smaller and the second reason is I want to open a small animal sanctuary and petting zoo but thanks for the advice.

4. Jrose

Jrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    Heavy duty HDPE rubber lining buried around the plant and diligent watch for surfacing rhizomes sneaking over the edge of the lining will contain the bamboo. It just costs a lot. Often time a single bamboo plant may run $50 or more, and the HDPE isn't cheap!

A sanctuary/petting zoo in operation for public view will likely have legal hurtles; 1. Are you allowed to operate this kind of business/operation where you live? 2. What kind of liability insurance do you need to allow people onto your property with animals? 3. What licenses do you need? 4. Do you need any kind of training or certification as per local laws?

Also, will you be insuring your animals? Hiring a dedicated vet? Treating with 'western medicine' or with holistic care? What equipment will you need?

I'd sit down and make a biiiiig long list. Start with just outlining what you want. Then address each point and elaborate on 'what will it take to make this happen'- everything from investigating legalities, to acquiring materials, to hiring potential employees, to buying your breeding stock, etc etc.

5. poultry bro

Oct 4, 2014
    Thank you so much for the info but my idea was more towards ranch animals so I wont need permits for that but for the business for sure I own a ranch already and was planning to get all my animals from rescues or abusive owners we have a vet and this would be something for children with abusive parents and foster kids with bad homes I think that the story of these animals will help the children emotionally and when they listen to the stories they will have someone to relate to but you are right I will have to consider a lot of things before I follow through with my idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by