avice please asap, before i make a huge mistake

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by katysingl25, Jun 26, 2011.

1. katysingl25

katysingl25 New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    8 eggs in bator on piped yesturday and hatched today with a little bit of help, it is day 24 what do i do with the others, how can i tell if they are ok, i'am new to this and i'am so thrilled to have one hatch i will be gutted if the others are no good, do i crack one and check, help before i do something i might regret...................
    really need some good advice, i have looked through the treds and i'am struggling to find and answer

help help help:/

2. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Well how overdue are they?

3. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    How long have they been pipped?

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]

I would just make sure the humidity is up and wait. It is not uncommon for eggs to hatch on day 25. Some have reported hatches on day 26 and one said hers hatched on day 27. If incubations temps dropped at all, the hatch can be delayed. [​IMG]

I rarely advocate helping at all. I would only help if I was sure my error was what caused the problem. Sometimes chicks do not make it out of the egg for a reason.

I'm sure you will get a variety of opinions. Good luck on whatever you decide to do. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  5. katysingl25

katysingl25 New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    2 days over, but only one has made an effort, i'm really worried do i continue the vigal
    thanks help is appreciated

6. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hi and [​IMG] So glad you are hear. I am no expert... but when mine fail to hatch on the expected hatch date, I give them 24 hours and then I start cracking eggs.

Now, that said, don't bee too hasty just yet. Sit very quietly next to your incubator. Do you hear any"peeps" at all from the remaining eggs. They do peep, don't you know.

If it sounds silent, and is at least day 22/23 I make a little chip with a pair of tweezers in the rounded end. One little chip at a time I open and open. I want to know if the chick formed, if it absorbed the yolk...

If you hear peeps, leave them for another 24 hours.

Again, glad you are here,
    Jenny

7. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:Well some ppl "help" the chicks out of the shell if they have been pipped for more than 24-36hrs... But like the person above said you will get a variety of opinions on here.

8. bckyrdchknluvr

bckyrdchknluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    I've got mine under broody's so don't know a ton about incubators, but I would wait a few more days. I think it's better to be safe than accidentally kill a viable chick.

9. katysingl25

katysingl25 New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    i'am feeling better already, my mind is settled on waiting another day before doing anything
    and giving the one that made an effort some time before moving him/her
    this is a great site and i like the support everyone offers, great stuff thanks:)[​IMG]

10. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by