Avocado and oranges?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kari_dawn, Jan 22, 2012.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Can I feed avocado and oranges to my chickens?

2. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
  3. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    thanks for the link! I thought avocado may be poisonous, but my parents insist they are fine to give them. I haven't let them because the birds are mine, and I spend MY money, and MY emotional investment on them.

I also feared oranges may be dangerous to give too, but according to that link, they will eat the fruit...good to know...mine found an old orange in the yard the other day....they thought it was five star resaurant fair!

4. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I have given my chickens avacado and they love it no problems yet lol

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I've fed my chickens (and rabbit and dogs) slices of old/overripe avocado and never had an issue.

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Avocado=Probably best not to feed. The fruit itself I haven't heard of being too large of an issue, but the pit and peel can cause cardiac arrest.

Oranges/Citrus. The citrus fruits contain a chemical called Limonene which is found to be toxic to pig and especially poultry, however it is lower amounts than it takes to be harmful. Another thing is the citrus is said to decrease calcium intake for both humans and poultry, which may cause weak egg shells. Though this is unlikely.

Other than the above, citrus is actually good for birds.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Most chickens will turn there nose up at any type of citrus . Other fruits they will eat but expect runny and wet stools. And avacodo's are just not recommended.

8. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas

My chickens must be weird then...I freaked when I found they had gotten into an orange, but they loved it...I took it away from them just to be safe...

9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    They say avacados are bad for any bird, but I'll tell you I spent years chasing birds away from my trees. My birds get them once in a while, but they are pitted and no skins. If you can get your dogs to eat them they are great for their coats. Even better than buy AvoDerm.

I have grapefruit, lemons and oranges and they love when an orange hits the ground and splits.

10. Hwlchickmama

Hwlchickmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    Some one gave me a basket of fruit for Xmas... I don't eat oranges but guess who LOVED them... Guess I won't give it to them again but I do supplement w/ shell...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by