1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Avocado Coloured Egg Breed Cross,

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Allkindsofkinds, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Allkindsofkinds

Allkindsofkinds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Apache Junction, AZ
    Earlier I saw a post with an avocado coloured egg layer that was a mix of a marans hen and a roo from a blue egg laying breed, do you all think I could also get an avocado layer by crossing a marans roo on a ccl hen?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Any cross of blue and brown egg layers will give you green egg layers. The darker the brown side, the more olive the egg will look, so for darker olive eggs a Maran- CL cross would work well.

3. Allkindsofkinds

Allkindsofkinds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Apache Junction, AZ
    Awesome! Do you think if I crossed a welsummer rooster over my CCL I would get chicks that were also autosexing like both parent breeds? I am new to chickens and know next to nothing about their genetics, but genetics facinates me, and I love to learn!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Actually, since they are both barred you will not get sex links (a little confusing, but autosexing is used to refer to pure breeds such as CL's that are sexable at hatch, where sex link is used to refer to breed crosses that produce sexable chicks). BUT if you cross a non-barred rooster over a barred CL hen, you will get sex links that are sexable at hatch. These would be black sex-links.
    Not sure is a Maran roo would work as they are birchen, but you might ask in the sex-link thread below -

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by