Avocado tree near coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gunnarmcc, Jun 10, 2011.

1. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    I am looking at designing a new chicken coop and run the only area large enough sits under the foliage of an avocado tree. The design that i have would have the area under the tree foliage being a fully covered chicken run covered by a fully shingled roof blending into welded wire fencing covering the actual coop which is 12 feet from the longest branch. Does anyone foresee any problems with the design or do you think the roof will be enough? it will definitely prevent all leaves and fruit from falling into the run and the 1/4" spacing on the wire around the run will prevent leaves from blowing into the run.

just looking for encouragement to build the run or definite statements from knowledgeable people saying it is a bad idea.

Much Thanks
    Gunnar

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would do it just for the shade. Are avocado leaves supposed to be poisonous? If so, I'll bet the chickens will leave them alone. O know the pits are, but as I understand it, the fruit itself is not. I have several types of weeds growing in my yard which the chickens will not touch, though they keep the grass in there eaten.

3. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    First off [​IMG] We had a huge avocado tree in one place we rented here in Florida. The fruit would come down pretty hard so thats the only negative I can see...damage to the roof?

4. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:True, I had fall on my head when I lived in PR (we had a huge Avocado tree in the back)...not fun! Other than that I'm sure the birds would enjoy the shade and it would also work as protection from predators...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by