Avocado

Bethany101

Songster
Apr 18, 2020
Hey girls,

( EDIT for clarity:: I have not ever given ANY avocado to my chickens before -- I have just acquired this bowl of scraps from emptying the fridge and making dinner last night 01/02/21 )

I have 14 chickens and 7 ducks (21 birds) and I am new-ish to homesteading (1-year), and I have seen a lot of negative things regarding avocado, ESPECIALLY the skins.

I have this bowl of undesirables from the fridge.

Is a smaller amount of avocado okay? Like 1 avo chopped into 1/2-IN chunks (1.25-CM) mixed with maybe 1 gallon (4 litre) volume bowl of other stuff? (Tomato, soft apples, floppy basil, stale bread bits, vinegar/olive oil/chili flakes {week old scraps from the fridge} ). I like to give my birds treaty foods 1 or 2 times per week but don't want to give them bad food.

I have seen varying info about avocado ingestion for birds, just curious if anyone maybe gives avo to their birds, and IF SO how much / how often ?? Thank you ❤

Attachments

• 16096813091441888433570918722748.jpg
    16096813091441888433570918722748.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Just compost it. It’s not worth them getting sick. They may be fine or one may get seriously ill. Would it be worth it if one got sick?
100%
I've never given my chooks avocado out of caution....but I read it was really only the skin and stone that is dangerous?

https://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/education/detail/what-to-feed-chickens-chicken-treats-to-feed-and-avoid#:~:text=A few other foods should,avocado is fine for chickens.
here you go^^^^

it is just NOT worth the risk. I would not give it to them.

I just would not give it to them. It is bad for them, but even in TINY quantities it is not GOOD for them. Don't bother....

Thank you ❤ I'm still learning ( 1-yr in ) I don't want to risk giving them harmful foods, just want to make sure it's really not worth trying (based on what I have read --) And not just superstition (Like other things I've read) 🙂

It is just the skins and stones that are bad for them...which they won’t eat anyway.

The flesh is high in fat, but I’m told it’s “a good fat”. ;)

When prepping food waste for my flock, I do sort out most of the avocado to be composted separately, but some slip through and the hens eat it without issue. They actually seem to really like the flesh.

Back
Top Bottom