1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

avocados a problem??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rossco1, Dec 11, 2010.

1. rossco1

rossco1 New Egg

Dec 11, 2010
    SUNSHINE COAST/QUEENSLAND
    just about to introduce chickens to my avocado orchard in aust. can anyone tell me if i have reason to be concerned about fallen fruit. thanks ross

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Welcome to BYC. [​IMG] Apparently the skin and the pit of the avocado have low levels of toxicity.

3. rossco1

rossco1 New Egg

Dec 11, 2010
    thanks for your input. i dont suppose you'd have any idea whether those low levels would be of concern?

4. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    i have 2 avo trees in the back yard and the chickens dont really seem to bother with them...they are more interested in whats under all those leaves they shed!! i have seen a few fallen avo's with obvious chicken pecked holes and we have have no problems. i have heard about the skin and pit being toxic and whenever i give them avocado directly it is always without them. but alas i am not about to go walking through the brush under the tree to get to the hundreds of fallen ones...sadly this in not a great variety for eating... i would say let them go in the orchard, they will love all those bugs ! [​IMG]

5. rossco1

rossco1 New Egg

Dec 11, 2010
    thanks very much.nice to know there is nothing to worry about. appreciate your input. ross

6. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by