AVOCADOS: poisonous for birds?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by broncbuster07, Aug 10, 2007.

1. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    I just read in DG that avocados are poisonous to birds. Does anyone have any evidence of this?

2. ChloesChicky

ChloesChicky Out Of The Brooder

I have heard that too! I know my parents Blue and Gold macaw can not have avocados.

3. broncbuster07

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    Well, I've fed my chickens avocados (peels mostly) in the past with no problems. I wonder if it's just parrots and tropical birds. [​IMG]

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hmm... that's interesting... wonder if the chickens know what is good and what is not good for them. Mine eat everything... and even nibble on the tomato leaves outside?

6. broncbuster07

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    I think I've given mine everything on that list at one time or another, and it's never been a problem. Maybe it is just tropical birds.

7. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
  8. rrrsmom

rrrsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2007
    salt lake city, Ut
    I put "avacados poison to birds" in as a google search and found tons of articles. I used to breed cockatiels and parakeets and subscribed to several big bird magazines and there would be an article every month about the dangers of avacados to birds. If this applies to chickens too I don't know but I have known people who ahve lost birds because of avacado so I just wouldn't risk it.

9. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Parrot person here too.
    All parrot people know about Avacadoes, it seems.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  10. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I gave up on my birds knowing what was best for them when I caught them all eating a block of Styrofoam pellets.

That said, for the most part I don't overly police what they do / don't eat, but that's interesting about the avocados.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by