avocados....?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by doberman44, May 23, 2010.

1. doberman44

doberman44 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    North Attleboro
    ..Hey ALL....Can I give the chicks avocados??....I know it says no skin or pits....but the meat itself is ok???...thanks all...Dobe

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It's debated. Some think that too much of the toxin from the skin and pit could get in to the meat and cause problems. Others feed it all the time to birds and mammals without problems. I keep frozen avocado on hand to feed as treats to mainly sugar gliders and hamsters but also everything else.

3. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I have fed it to my girls with no problems. I only do it once in a while.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I wouldnt risk it...

5. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    When my mom was younger they had hens and as a kid she fed them avacados and watermelon in too large of rations. Most of them ended up dying. I am not sure whether it was avacados or watermelon, but I avoid both with my girls.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:It was the avacados... watermelon is fine. My birds LOVE frozen watermelon in the summer... [​IMG]

7. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Good to know! I always wondered how watermelon would harm them lol. Though I suppose ANYTHING in too large of rations could be bad. I am glad to add something else to try as a summer treat with my girls [​IMG]

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    In addition to the flesh near the pit and skin being more toxic, there are different types of avocados. I don't know of any studies, but I have the impression from what I've read, that certain types of avocados may be more toxic than others. This would help explain some of the confusing empirical data, along with volume consumed.

I've chosen not to feed avocado to any of my birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by