Avoiding Flip

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by lsv313, Oct 23, 2010.

1. lsv313

lsv313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I just lost two meaties to flip today (at least that's what I'm guessing - found lying on their backs). They are 7.5 weeks old. Two nice looking roos - wasted. [​IMG] I've fed them 12 on 12 off since they were a few days old, and they have complete free range in my yard. Is there anything I could have done to prevent it? Is there anything I can do to stop it from happening to any more of them?[​IMG]

2. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    I experienced my first flip this week and asked the same question... the response was no... there is nothing you can do to prevent it... sounds like you are doing all you can w. 12on/12 off...

3. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    sorry for your loss.

4. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Quote:If you see one acting lethargic don't wait. I'd rather butcher it than wait and hope it recoveres and find it dead later. We've had to do 4 this year that were found that way.

5. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    what does flip means? Im new and i am currently raising 12 CX

6. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Its basically when a chicken dies for no reason. Usually you will them on layed out on their backs.

7. jemmasgrandma

jemmasgrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Quote:aw geesh... so sorry [​IMG]

8. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Very rarely is it for no reason.... most die from heart attacks.

9. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:If I could expand upon this a little w/ my 2 cents worth. "For no reason" is why this breed gets such a bad rap. Like Jeff said, there is a reason. One possibility, too much protein, which makes their bodies grow faster than their organs can keep up with, causing CHF, aka heart attack. Another possibilty, not enough vitamins/minerals. If their bodies don't have enough, their organs don't have the necesary building blocks needed to build strong organs to support their quickly growing bodies. If you combine these to things in a type of feed (too much protein/not enough vitamins), you are asking for problems. Over the past few years have have raised almost a 1000 CX and only lost 2 of them to flipping. I do limit the amount of feed they get, but don't necessarily limit it to 12/12. That being said, I feed a 23% protein ration that is very complete. One thing I think help is I have kelp added, which is a great source of trace minerals and vitamins.

It drives me crazy when I see allegations of these birds flipping for no reason. If given the proper nutrition, one should have no problems with this breed. Now I'm sure some people are unknowingly feeding them feed they think is complete, but in reality, it is missing something if you are losing birds.

10. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    bigredfeather----how do you add the kelp? Also, what does '12/12' mean?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by