1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Avoiding frozen eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nab58, Nov 14, 2013.

1. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    This is my first NE winter with chickens.

I thought my biggest concern would be getting outside daily to change water, clean and collect eggs after work before dark.

I never considered the eggs being ruined by freezing during the day! We leave for work before they lay so we can't possibly collect them before 4pm. I thought they'd thaw if partially frozen and be fine. I recently read that frozen eggs do not thaw well and the yolk remains partially hard.

Now that I've figured out how to care for my chickens over the winter , I may not be able to use their eggs. I can't give them away if I doubt their quality. I'm really bummed.

My nesting boxes are on the outside of the coop (like most). Can I wrap the outside of the boxes with insulation? How would I keep that dry? I can't see how I could insulate the inside of the boxes. They already have a thick layer of straw inside. I'm not planning on heating the coop....didn't think I'd need to.
    I may reconsider the extra lighting I've added if my eggs will be no good.

2. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    What if you put one of those heating pads underneath everything?

3. nab58

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    I'm trying to avoid heating in the coop in any way. My intention when choosing Red SexLinks was to get a bird that adapts well to New England weather.

I never thought I'd have a problem wi the eggs!

4. nab58

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Insulation will only hold heat that's already there, so probably wouldn't help much.
    But if you try, I'd put it on the outside so the birds won't peck at it and eat it plus any thickness of insulation that might help would use up all the space inside the nest and the poor hen might not fit in there...lol.

You can still eat frozen eggs, as long as the membrane doesn't crack allowing possible contamination, but yes the yolk will be thicker making them best cooked scrambled.

6. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    You're going to need heat in some way. An egg isn't large enough to retain heat for a full work day without an amount of insulation beyond what you're willing to do.
    The next option, if you don't want heat inside the coup, is to design a nesting box like a bowl with a contraption so the egg can roll out of the box and into a heated contraption that catches it. You could put a heating pad in the outside contraption and just make sure it doesn't break the egg when it rolls in.

7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Don't worry too much about your eggs freezing. They will still be ok for use in most recipes. That is why the discovery of fire and the invention of the frying pan was such a game changer for human civilization.

The truth is that you can keep eggs in your home deep freezer and that they taste great scrambled. Just don't try to whip up frozen eggs into a bowl of fluffy meringue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by