1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Awaiting our new family adventure!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Little-Farmer, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Little-Farmer

Little-Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2015
    Hello friends!
    Our family is so excited to start this new adventure raising quail in our backyard!

It started with our little farmer. Our son battles many food allergies and other related health issues. It has made us step back and simplify our ingredients in our pantry. Our sons has always loved to grow things and so our backyard garden was created.

Just last year, we entered the homeschooling world when his health was preventing him from attending school. It turned into a wonderful blessing that my daughter joined us in homeschooling:( as well. Now we cruise through our studies and have time to play in the backyard garden!

Unfortunately, he is allergic to chicken eggs. But we found out last year that he can eat quail eggs! So we find ourselves at our next adventure- quail farmers!

After months of research on reading on this sight, we finally have all our supplies, and our first batch of jumbo coturnix quail eggs in the incubator. They should be hatching today or tomorrow but I'm not feeling so hopeful. All the equipment was brand new and we were learning how it works as we went so we've had a few hiccups with temperature, humidity adjustments and the new turner broke three days too early so we began hand turning. If these little babies hatch, they will be the toughest little birds ever!

Thanks for all your info and exciting moments you've all shared that's made us want to jump in and be bird lovers with you!

"Little farmer" is my son, but he's pulled our whole family into his dream and we can't wait!

1 person likes this.
  2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us. Good luck with your hatch. You may be interested in some of the thread son the Quail forums.

Didn't know folks allergic to Chicken eggs could eat other poultry eggs, thanks for the info.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! Have loved reading your intro and how you have got into the quail. That's so nice for your son that he is able to eat quail eggs. It will be fantastic for him being able to eat his own quail eggs. Poultry really can bring the family together in a joint venture. You may like to stop by the brand new section of the learning centre for other back yard poultry including quail. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/other-backyard-poultry-ducks-quail-turkeys-geese-etc

Wishing you the very best of luck with eggs in the incubator and I hope you have a great hatch
    Enjoy BYC :frow

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning and welcome to BYC! Great intro, can't wait to hear how your hatch goes. Keep us posted! And if you have any questions, feel free to ask, there are a lot of friendly & knowledgeable folks here.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    We have some members who are allergic to chicken eggs but, not to duck eggs so that may be another avenue to take with your son. I'm sure he will love having his own flock and naming them.

6. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined the "flock."[​IMG]

Good luck with the incubation! If your son is allergic to chicken eggs, you may want to also try duck eggs (if you haven't already). I've heard that some people can eat those even if they can't eat chicken eggs (or vice-versa).

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Best of luck with the hatch! Keep us posted!

10. Little-Farmer

Little-Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2015
    Thank you for the support!

I have been staring through an incubation window all day, which I'm learning only bird lovers that have spent weeks nurturing little eggs would understand. I am hopeful but still worried there were no live birds as we have had plenty of mishaps that could have been detrimental to them. I'm reading eggs rolling around and people hearing little peeps. I've had nothing, and I was gett discouraged.

This evening, I finally saw a little piece of shell laying on the towel and a tiny movement near the whole. There's at least one alive and I'm jumping for joy. Truly, I had no idea I could get so excited over a little egg!

It's taking its time which I assume is good because we just hit the 16th day mark (jumbo coturnix quail) if your counting by the hour.

I'm hopeful for the coming days!
    How long does it typically take them to start breaking out of the shell once they start pipping?

Jumping for joy this evening!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by