Away from home

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Essentiallyokanaganmom, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Essentiallyokanaganmom

Essentiallyokanaganmom Songster

May 22, 2019
    Okanagan Valley
    Hey everyone we have 4 week old chicks brooding in our bathtub but we are going to be away from the house all day tomorrow. Probably 10+ hours. What I'm concerned about is thier water, they tend to poop in it (expected) but then they dont seem drink out of it once theres poop (I dont blame them), concerned about how long they can go without water if say one poops right away, should I be getting someone to check in on them/change thier water partway through the day? We are rural so it's way out of the way for anyone.

2. What are you using for a chick waterer? How old are your chicks?
    If it is a mason jar type or the larger plastic gallon waters, fasten a cone shape (cardboard, poster board...) over the top so the chicks can not roost on top and poop in it. Move waterer where there are no roosts above it.
    Also if they are kicking sawdust or bedding in it, raise it up some using a small piece of board or a small brick.
    If you are using a heat lamp. Make sure it is secure and no fire danger.
    Good luck!

3. Essentiallyokanaganmom

Essentiallyokanaganmom Songster

May 22, 2019
    Okanagan Valley
    Sorry they dont roost on it they just poop in it when they are walking around it/trying to dump thier food out. 15605531248278846643016020180108.jpg

I'm considering leaving the heat lamp off and just turning off or down the ac while we are gone as its pleanty hot here this week.
    They have been outside in the coop during the day fine, and I've been unplugging the light for a few hours here and there as they dont seem to need it except when the ac kicks on haha.

4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    If you have another waterer (or two) available, I'd put it in. Or a shallow small dish, like a small plant saucer or a mini tart pan, just as a backup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: