Awesome! Duck eggs in the mail for me!

Overeasyplz

Songster
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
Leesburg
Mom sent me a dozen Pekin eggs from Drako and Daisy.. Donna duck wasn't laying. My question is, mom has been saving for over a week, she mailed them to me and it took a couple days, no eggs broke or visibly froze. How long can a fertile egg be viable? Mom says the ducks "get it on" several times a day and she didn't write dates on these eggs so I don't know which one is oldest. I guess after I let them rest and get house temperature I'll pop them in the bator and see, as soon as my chicks get done!! (hatching as I type)

Excellent! Also I flashlighted them and quite a few have a very loose air bubble. Mom packed them very well but they must've went through heck...I am letting them rest for 24 hours..do you think the aircells will settle?

I hope they do, I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya! Ive had good and bad luck with shipped eggs. Either they arent fertile, the air cells are screwed, or they only half way develop, or develop 75% and then die. The dead that had developed were my fault though
hit.gif
I cant incubate worth a flip

oh, thank you GW! i hope they do too. I have a lonely duck hen(rescue) living with some banties( I rescued as well). I haven't rescued any drakes so I told my mom about her and she sent some eggs! I have incubated ducks before, 15 baby queeks! I love a baby duck, so I sure hope they make it..

I have heard that when the air cells are messed up from shipping, to leave them standing on the small end to rest. Put them into the incubator like that and don't turn for a few days to give them extra time to settle.

Last time I ordered eggs I think 3 or 4 out of 8 had air cells that were screwed up. I put them in the incubator upright and when I took the turner out - I put them in an egg carton and they hatched with no trouble. Good Luck!!!

thats encouraging news, everyone! I will do that, egg carton thing, in the incubator, and let them sit for 24 hrs. I just need one to hatch, for Draminoe to have a ducky friend.

Back
Top Bottom