Awesome job Daisy! (Muscovy)

MommaDuck78

Chirping
Nov 12, 2019
Being a first-time duck owner to my two muscovies my little girl started laying eggs on veterans Day. I got some advice that the first few eggs would be smaller with more shell. Well her first six eggs weren't much bigger than a chicken egg but she is tiny so I figured they wouldn't get too much bigger. Well... My little girl laid her biggest egg today! Egg number 7. Couldn't believe how big it was when I walked in and saw it this morning I said holyshit! Lol Good
IMG_20191119_073850144.jpg
IMG_20191119_073435483.jpg
IMG_20191119_075059043.jpg
job Daisy duck! ❤️ She's been funny to I thought she was holding an egg from me on day 4 but so far it seems like she lays 3 days in a row and then takes one day off. Day 4 she didn't lay one and day 8 she didn't lay one. ❤️

:eek:Wow! Eggcellent report. That poor duck hen must have felt a whole lot better after passing that humongous egg!

I can see how big it is in size compared to the first egg, but do you have a weight on #7 so I can get it in my mind better? I'm still amazed when I get an occasional chicken egg that weighs 63+ grams (XL) and have yet to see a Jumbo egg at 70+ grams. It looks like your #7 egg could feed a whole family breakfast.

:eek:Wow! Eggcellent report. That poor duck hen must have felt a whole lot better after passing that humongous egg!

I can see how big it is in size compared to the first egg, but do you have a weight on #7 so I can get it in my mind better? I'm still amazed when I get an occasional chicken egg that weighs 63+ grams (XL) and have yet to see a Jumbo egg at 70+ grams. It looks like your #7 egg could feed a whole family breakfast.
I have not been weighing the eggs yet, but I will make it a point to check that out today sounds interesting to compare. What I find strange is today, egg number 8 is back down to the size of the other ones almost. I thought that was strange after laying one huge one...could the smaller ones maybe be her average size egg? Is it possible that the one huge one is a double yolk? Interested to see what tomorrow brings now LOL

I have not been weighing the eggs yet, but I will make it a point to check that out today sounds interesting to compare. What I find strange is today, egg number 8 is back down to the size of the other ones almost. I thought that was strange after laying one huge one...could the smaller ones maybe be her average size egg? Is it possible that the one huge one is a double yolk? Interested to see what tomorrow brings now LOL

I don't know about duck eggs, but my young chicken hens generally lay medium to large sized eggs. Every once in a while, I'll get an XL egg. But that is the exception to the rule. I weigh my eggs everyday. My girls have only been laying for a little over a month, so I still get lots of small eggs, but in general, they are increasing in size and weight over time.

If you are not ready to eat that super large egg, maybe you could candle it to see if it is a double yolk egg.

I don't know about duck eggs, but my young chicken hens generally lay medium to large sized eggs. Every once in a while, I'll get an XL egg. But that is the exception to the rule. I weigh my eggs everyday. My girls have only been laying for a little over a month, so I still get lots of small eggs, but in general, they are increasing in size and weight over time.

If you are not ready to eat that super large egg, maybe you could candle it to see if it is a double yolk egg.
I do not have a scale yet but I will be getting one soon. I was wondering about that finding out if it was a double yolk and possibly finding out if both yolks were fertilized? If she sits on it I'll let her keep that one if it's fertilized twins would be so cool I don't even know if that's possible I'm a first-time duck Momma LOL

Back
Top Bottom