Awesome party!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by gudrin, Sep 20, 2009.

1. gudrin

gudrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    I just had to tell you about a party my family and I went to last night. It was an end of chemo party for a ten year old girl, the daughter of a gal that my husband works with. This is the first time I met these kids, but I was very impressed! The ten year old is very talkative about her cancer, and is always invited to Children's Hospital events because she is so intelligent about it. The four year old is a non-stop mover. She has problems letting go of her stuff, unless she knows who it's going to, so my daughter gets a lot of her clothes.

Anyway: What a party! They had a huge tent up, a lawnmower train ride for kids, hayrides behind a tractor for everyone, absolutely wonderful food. Beef Brisket and chicken legs done on the grill, and all kinds of fresh produce around. Random jam sessions on guitars and mandolins, chickens and kids running everywhere and a border collie herding everyone as best he could. They even built an outhouse basically for the use of the party! It was phenomenal, the entire experience. My two year old ran herself silly once she warmed up to the other kids. We got to go into the coop and see the chickens and found out they free range all summer, and have no other food. Being we get eggs from them, we're going to give some greens we have left in the garden for them. It just seemed to be a healthy place in which to raise kids.

They live on an old farm that is on the National Registry for Historic Places, the house is huge and an old brick thing (heating costs came first into my mind) but then they have a huge barn, chicken coop, summer kitchen, and sheds and the like. It's just...Wow. I figure some of you could appreciate the awe I was feeling.

Only one kid got yelled at for chasing the chickens. One poor hen, in an effort to get away, got stuck upside down on the ceiling of the coop! This was the same kid I yelled at for throwing a soccer ball at a seven month old little girl that was playing with me. I don't care if I didn't know him, he could have seriously hurt the baby! I figure at eight or nine years of age, he should have known not to do that.

Anyway, I just had to share this experience. It was so wonderful! And it made me even more sure that I want my own chickens.

2. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    It sounds like a great place....kinda of like a mini fair. Did you take any pictures?

Hoping the little girl is cancer free! [​IMG]

3. gudrin

gudrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    NO! Unfortunately the thought of the camera was overshadowed by the thought of food. Once we got there, that was the only reason I was kicking myself.

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

What a great way to end such a difficult time.

I hope she does well post-chemo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by