1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Awesome...the spam bots have found the web site

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by yellowirenut, Mar 28, 2012.

1. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    Seems the "handbag,shoes, watches" spambots have found the web site and filled it full of useless post.
    I hope the mods block the account doing this ASAP

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The moderators do a real good job of protecting this site. You can help them by reporting to a moderator when you see something like that.

If you open the post, use the red flag on the lower left. I once got to them to report something by going through the "frequently asked questions" section. There is something in there that can get to them without opening one of those threads. I don't remember the thread name, but it is pretty obvious.

3. HudokFarm

HudokFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Minnesota
    I am not sure if you would know, Ridgerunner, but what is the best way to flag these spammers? I flagged one spam post and was not sure what to put in the "severity" drop down list. I chose "trivial" since the spam was annoying rather than actually offensive. I am not sure if it matters from the moderator's perspectives?

4. Ridgerunner

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know either. I don't know that it matters that much. I'm sure the moderator on duty will check them all out, but they will probably prioritize based on how you mark it.

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    The `spammers usually run between 3-5AM EST. If I have to get up early I'll just flag (report) all - so far they seem to post in main Q&A/announcement sub forum - click on user name, newly created account with one or two posts (usually) - selling `soap'... I'll mark that as minimal` bottiness'.
    Occasionally some scum will create an account just to cause trouble for particular members - I'll report that as offensive/severe.

Never, ever, post a reply to any of these. Just report (bug spray). Mods are volunteers so it can take some time for these to be erased.

"So nat'ralists observe, a flea
    Hath smaller fleas that on him prey,
    And these have smaller fleas that bite 'em,
    And so proceed ad infinitum."

J.S.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Everyone is dong fine! Just report the spam post (click the red flag) and move on. Don't reply, and don't quote the post.

It actually doesn't matter what severity you give it, at lease not the way our system is presently set up. I'd probably choose a higher number if I were reasonably sure it was spam.

Our members are very good at reporting spammers. The only time I've run across an unreported spammer's post is when it had just been posted, and that is rare.

Ridgerunner, I'm actually not sure what you're talking about, and not planning to search in FAQ for it at the moment. Maybe the list of mods, which is not in FAQ that I know of, it's in a sticky in the BYC Website and Feedback forum. But there is no need to PM a mod. The fastest way to reach the next available mod is always the flag, the report button.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  7. Ridgerunner

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You should be fine opening a post -- but I never, ever open the links in those spam posts. I agree, they could be dangerous. I never open spam email in my personal account for the same reason. I even changed email providers once because the program wouldn't let me delete an email without opening it. (I've had a hard drive crash because of viruses, too.) BYC of course has its own antiviral software -- but there is no such thing as 100% protected, unfortunately.

But if you feel you need to PM a staff member, that's fine, too.

You could also report a post by reporting the one above or below it, and just saying where the problem is.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by