Awful smell coming from vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FabulousMandy, Jul 9, 2011.

1. FabulousMandy

FabulousMandy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    What a bad day! I have a Speckled Sussex that I suspect is suffering from the excess heat (it's very hot today and she's now comfortably established in my air conditioned house) and I also had to bring in my beloved Barred Rock for what seemed like the same symptoms as the SS, except there is an AWFUL smell coming from her vent area. I watched her take a normal poop before bringing her inside, and I'm pretty sure she laid an egg yesterday, and definitely the day before. Aside from a miniscule amount of white poopy stuff on her bottom feathers everything seems to be ok; I don't think she's egg bound or laying internally (I have plenty of experience with that... [​IMG] ) and I can't think of what else it could be. She's very droopy and lethargic, but again she just looks heat sick like my other bird. Any ideas why she has a stinky butt?? Thanks in advance!

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Hello, FabulousMandy - White and smelly vent discharge sound like vent gleet. See this post for more information. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=433048 I have no experience with this, but keep this bookmarked just in case... The information in the link says there is no treatment for this (if this indeed is what she has), but you might want to further search this site if the symptoms match what your hen has, for more information on treatment. Good luck to you.

3. FabulousMandy

FabulousMandy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    ugh I think that's totally what it is, I had to move her outside after she pooped in the cage [​IMG], the smell is overpowering. I'm going to try some probiotic yogurt and some external anti-fungal treatments and hope for the best.

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I had one get vent gleet and I wish I had gone ahead and gotten the nystatin. I messed around with the yogurt and something else suggested and she got worse. By the time I got the nystatin it was so bad she died the next day. I hope your's does better.
    sharon

5. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by