awful video of what they do with roosters ****WARNING GRAPHIC****

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ticks, May 1, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have seen Jamies series on chickens and the hatchery and meat industry. I respect him alot for trying to educate the public on what happens to baby chicks, how the meat on their table is dispatched and processed. No it isn't pretty to see. It is however realty.

I do not agree with how commercial practices are carried out. When we order hatchery chicks and order only pullets we all are adding to the fate of those male chicks.

There is lot more to the bigger issues of themeat industry and we all would benefit from better educating ourselves. More of us need to remove our family table from the commercial meat industry. We might find our children are far more healthy and have a better respect for the life given for the food they eat.

I do hope this thread doesn't go off on tangets and responses will remain friendly and respectful of others opinions and experiences.

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    But, why woudn't they just let them grow and eat them then.

4. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    that is awful but a sad reality I guess.

Marie

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Those poor babies. I know it only took 1 or 2 minutes but look how they gasp and struggle to breathe. That is horrid.

I admit it...I have tears rolling like a crybaby. [​IMG]

MissPrissy...I agree 100%

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:The male chicks feed to meat ratio is not profitable for growing them out. It takes 10 - 12 weeks to grow them out for eating size when a meat chicken is ready for dispatch at 5 weeks or so.

Sad but that is the reality of big business.

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I'll be happy when I have my own eggs from my own chickens.

8. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I'll just be one of those that orders "straight run" from now on, even if it is more often and then I'll ensure I have the proper diet for them ending in my freezer though it takes a bit longer in some aspects, it will be more enjoyable for both the birds and I in the long run. The ending is clear from the beginning, what to do w/so many roos...and they cannot be kept indefinately, all together, safely, happily and healthy.

If I'd known that I would have ordered straight run Buff Orp chicks instead of just the pullets. But I don't think I would or will want to cull any, I'd be getting separate cages, runs, etc., as if I was a billionaire...yeah right!

On a happier note, my little RIR roo chick has grown long tail feathers over night, forgot my camera at work last night so will get pics of his finery tonight after gardening class. I think I'll call him Randy Roo, the other RIR chick looks a bit like a pullet so far.

9. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    :-(

10. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    My word... I'm beginning to rethink Jamie Oliver. It seems he has developed a remarkably high opinion of himself since his Naked Chef days. I used to love that show.

The video was extremely anxiety inducing. But more than that, it disturbs me that he was allowed to make a spectacle of it. Maybe it's just me. I don't know. (Not trying to incite anyone!) To me it seems no different from flaying a couple of minks for an audience just to show people how mean it is... (or shooting a person in the head to teach spectators the value of human life.)

I realize he's using a sort of shock and awe tactic and wants to horrify people. I am really having a problem with this that I can't put into words. Maybe he thinks these chicks died for a noble cause?

Maybe I am just not getting his point.

Cassandra

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by