"Awkward egg silence"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epona4, Dec 17, 2008.

1. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    ...that is what my 10 yo DD calls the time right before our hens lay an egg. We've only witnessed this twice, she saw it when Ginger laid her first egg and then I saw it with Juicy yesterday. While Juicy was picking her nesting spot yesterday, the two roos were cooing to her. After she settled in everyone got really quite. Once she laid her egg everyone started "talking" again.

Has anyone noticed this with their flock or is it just because it's a new thing?

DD made me laugh with her term for this. They come up with the darnedest things.

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yup happens here to lol Funny to watch. They want the whole world to know they laid an egg.

3. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

What is a 10 year old DD?
    I "just hatched" and have great trouble figuring out some of the abreviations used on this board.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  4. Javamama

Javamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    USA
    [​IMG]
    Now I have a name for it!

5. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    DD just means dear or darlin' daughter. Follow the code through to DH for a dearhubby, Dear GF for a girlfriend etc.

"Awkward silence" is a term my kids use too, with haliarious effect; must have a particular pop culture origniation, tho I dont know what it is. Wl ask middle daughter when she gets home; she's generally the hippest.

And I love Awkward Egg Silence. Perfect. Trademark it now. Tx!

6. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    must have a particular pop culture origniation,

Ditto in my house! I saw a cell phone commercial I think it was and the teen used the word awkward to describe something the parent did or said. It runs rampid in my house too! ages 9-12 all use it in a cocky negative joking style. [​IMG]
    My kids say that the chickens "puff up" before they lay. I have not a clue what this looks like! I think my chickens sneak off to lay eggs and come back to the group like "I just went to powder my nose". They aren't the bragging type........they kinda look embarassed......kinda like "the gym teacher told me I need a bra".​

7. epona4

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Mine use the term awkward silence as well. I'd just never heard the youngest use it.

Hmmmm...trademarking the term...I'll have to look into that. [​IMG]

8. epona4

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    They aren't the bragging type........they kinda look embarassed......kinda like "the gym teacher told me I need a bra".

LOL!! Too funny!

b​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by