awkward hen

chickychucky

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2016
I have a very awkward hen who tries her very best to escape from the run and hide her eggs. It's very frustrating because when I have managed to find some they are really nice and tasty. We fenced off a corner of the garden where they can't escape but we find them in next doors field at the usual time she lays. After she comes back I've noticed jackdaws flying into the field could they be eating the eggs? I tried to encourage her to lay in the hut by adding lots of hay and a nest box but they all were terrified of it and wouldn't go inside. Lately, her comb is paler and I was wondering whether she might have stopped laying altogether. We have added young hens to the flock and I'm worried they'll start copying her and laying elsewhere.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! As you say your hen is looking pale and not wanting to go into the hut could the hit be suffering from mites/lice? This can put them off for wanting to go in. Also mites/lice can make them pale and stop them from laying as they drain the hen.

Good luck for the future and I hope you can find the problem. You could also pop by the behaivour and egg laying section, here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying

Enjoy BYC :frow

Has she ever been wormed? Is she eating & drinking well & pooping? Are other birds in your flock bullying her away from food & water? How does she escape from the run? If she can get out, predators can easily get in. Too bad you don't have a game cam, so you could discover what she does when you aren't around.

I haven't checked if they have mites because I thought it was too cold. I will check them for pests but she's usually the one who bullies the younger hens. Thanks for the help!
1f60a.png

Hi and welcome to BYC.

Assuming lice / mites and worms are not an issue, you may wish to consider keeping her in the coop until she lays - that way she will learn to lay her eggs where you want them.

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

You've been given some good advice of things to check for so I'll just say hello, it's nice to have you here!

PROBLEM SOLVED! I put some shop bought eggs in the hut and she decided to lay there!
1f60a.png
Hopefully she'll keep laying there. I think she was a bit under the weather but her comb has gone back to bright red again. I don't think she had mites or worms because all the other chickens were fine. Thanks again for the help!
1f604.png

Back
Top Bottom