Awkward Runner Ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducklover15, Nov 18, 2009.

1. ducklover15

ducklover15 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is my first time having runner ducks and I want to make sure nothing is wrong with them.

I hatched out three little runners of different colors, raised them the exact same I've raised my other ducks and recently introduced them to the outside pen. They absolutely LOVE it out there but they are awkward little creatures... They seem to have a hard time standing, walking and preening their feathers. My big gray baby seems to have the most trouble. He/she has terrible balance and I wonder if that's normal and if that will get better with age. The ducklings are only about 2 months old probably. They haven't figured out how to get in their pool yet so I put them in, let them have fun and take them out. Two of my ducklings seem to have an okay time cleaning their feathers but the one falls over when he/she tries to reach the oil gland and eventually gives up.

Do runners normally have bad balance when they're young? Or should I try to add some vitamins to their food? They're still on baby food I buy from tractor supply.

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    go ahead and add brewer's yeast or niacin to their food, it can always help. Runners are a bit awkward when little, my friend's duck vinny fell over all the time, be he might be a bit, um ducky slow. lol. just give them the niacin and keep an eye on them.

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

It can't hurt to give them vitamins. I wish I could be more help.

4. ducklover15

ducklover15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay I'll give that a try. Thanks. =]

They're definitely...slow... lol Especially when compared to my other ducks, but they're a hoot to watch! I'll take some pics today for you guys...

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Babette was and still is very awkward! Peeps and Squeeks were never awkward or clumsy, but their daddy Twinkie still trips over his own ducky feet. Hershey is a graceful, beautiful Runner,, even when she is chasing Pudster the cat trying to kill him....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by