awkward walking chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lilcheepers, Feb 2, 2014.

1. lilcheepers

lilcheepers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    Muscle Shoals, Alabama
    Can anyone please help? I have a flock of 20 chickens right now. We lost an Americauna hen about a month ago we never could figure out what happened it turned cold she just tucked her head in and died. We tried to keep her warm but it didn't seem to help. About a week ago one of the RIR hens came down with a respiratory cold. I isolated her from the rest of the flock wormed her to make sure there was no gapeworm with ivermectrin and treated her with Tylan-50 for 5 days and gave probiotics in her water. Now a week later I was in their yard feeding treats this morning and noticed a have a Barred Rock picking her legs up awkwardly and having to sit alot. She still has an appetite and is drinking I also have isolated her. Any ideas on what is going on? All of these chickens are approximately 1 year old. I know we have had a colder winter and a wet one as well. Also, after removal of the chicken with the respiratory issues I scrubbed the inside of their coop down and sprayed with hydrogen peroxide, all new bedding and I am putting supplemental vitamins in their water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you looked at her feet for signs of bumble foot or frostbite? Mycoplasma can affect the bones as well as the respiratory system--MG is more common, but MS or mycoplasma synovitis can affect the bones and joints. Check her for swelling of the joints. Did she have a Mareks disease vaccine--that can cause neurological problems in the legs. I would start some poulry vitamins in her water, since leg problems can be a result of deficiency. Here is a link to read about Mareks:
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf

3. lilcheepers

Feb 2, 2014
    Muscle Shoals, Alabama
    I have looked for bumble foot and I do not see signs of this. It is only affecting the left foot after a closer inspection it appears she had a crusty smaller toe and she is crossing her toes over and trying to walk on the whole inside of the foot. As far as a Mareks vaccination I do not know I bought these chickens from a local feed store.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does she have curled toes, or is she walking on her knuckle? I would start vitamins or PolyVisol without iron 3 drops daily.

5. lilcheepers

Feb 2, 2014
    Muscle Shoals, Alabama
    No curled toes or knuckle walking but I purchased a vitamin supplement to start them all on. It appears her foot is almost folded over with toes straight. I have coated her legs down in Vaseline although I do not see signs of scaly leg.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A picture of her foot would be really helpful. I'm sure someone has seen this before.

7. lilcheepers

Feb 2, 2014
    Muscle Shoals, Alabama
    Alas after further research is it possible she is egg bound. Her belly is very tight.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You might want to use a different wormer, ivermectin is not an effective poultry wormer according to the study below.

-Kathy

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2816174
    Ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic--trials with naturally infected domestic fowl.

Oksanen A, Nikander S.
    Abstract

To evaluate the use of ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic, 29 White Leghorn hens naturally infected with Ascaridia spp., Heterakis spp. and Capillaria spp. were treated with 0.2, 2 or 6 mg/kg intramuscularly or 0.2 or 0.8 mg/kg orally. Faecal samples were collected before treatment and at autopsy, 2, 6, or 16 days after treatment, when the intestines were also examined for helminths. None of the treatments gave satisfactory anthelmintic results.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Research ascites.

-Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she has an egg you'll be able to feel it if you gently insert a lubed, gloved finger into her vent.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by