Awww Crap. Literally.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by desertgirl, Apr 12, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    So now that we've moved the girls to the other room, both of the silkies have pasty butt. Ugh!!!
    Cleaned 'em both, but I am tired of this pasty butt stuff. Any little stress kicks it in?

Did the baby oil trick, and put ACV in the waterer. Will they get past this at some point?!!!![​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Don't let them get too warm or have too much sugar.

3. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    pasty rear ends is caused by toooooo much heat and not ventilated to fresh air

you can take a gallon of the chick starter and put 1 cup of the white play school sand in it and feed only that and they will get the manure right
    but it is your method of heating the birds
    first week 98 degrees
    2nd week 5 degrees less each week on heat
    you need to get less watage in the light bulbs
    and have good ventilation so than it isn't a draft but new oxygen comes into the brooder
    you didn't say how old they are maybe its time to go to the chicken house with light bulb for heat
    how old are they/

4. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    One week old. Have always had good ventilation, and we moved them in order to start decreasing the heat by 5 degrees per week (hard to in our bathroom, as it sits by the heater. They have been at about 90 degrees, and are now at around 82-83.

Suggestions?![​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    dropper some diluted olive oil into their crops. That might help short term.

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

You can also put a layer of vaseline on there bums to help the poo slide off. It help the poo from sticking to there bums and causing a blockage.

Also do not feed them any treats just chick starter. Give it a couple days and see what happens.

7. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    But this is a chick thing, right? Will they outgrow this???

8. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Pasty Butt;

OK, The straight skinny on "Pasty Butt". Believe it or not, Pasty Butt is a symptom of constipation. The cure is molasses in their drinking water. Molasses is a natural laxative for fowl. Mix it like weak tea and give it to them for 2 days. Naturally you should clean their little butts with a warm damp cloth before you start the treatment. Failure to cure this condition could result in a painful death for your chicken. This treatment is for adult birds as well as chicks. Pasty Butt is less common in adult birds, but does sometime occure......Pop

9. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    since I switched to ground feed that I get made at the co-op. the only time I have pasty butt is when they get to hot (rare) or are weak. I've had 2 cases out of 250+ chicks. this year and no cocci also.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  10. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    OK. Back to the Co-op tomarrow for molasses. Will it give the other bird the runs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by