Awww, how cute...their first eggs, but no egg song (photo)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dewey, Mar 13, 2011.

1. dewey

dewey Songster

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    The girls are 22 1/2 weeks old and this afternoon 2 of them laid their first egg. 1 from a barred rock and 1 from an EE. The white egg in the photo is a large egg from the store. It was getting to be about that time so they all got switched over to layer almost 2 weeks ago. The eggs were tiny as expected but perfectly formed with strong shells. I'd just checked them not 5 minutes before a relative passed by and saw them. They kept as quiet as church mice, lol.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Mine tend to sing the egg song before laying it [​IMG]

3. dewey

dewey Songster

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    How funny! Guess ya never can tell, lol.

4. Most of our hens just go quietly about their business. They do the ba Gawk thing when frightened about something though. Silly chickens.

5. dewey

dewey Songster

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    And here I've been looking forward to the egg songs this whole time, lol...funny, my chickens always sang afterwards. [​IMG] Guess there was no need to warn the neighbors, lol.

6. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Songster

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Congrats on your 1st eggs! My girls were quiet at first, but now are really noisy.

7. dewey

dewey Songster

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Quote:That's what I'm hoping for! And thank you. [​IMG]

8. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Songster

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

Yes, some hens will sing an egg song. But only when another dominant hen takes over the nest do they sing, in my pen, and boy do they sing. But sometimes it is becuase they got situated in the nest and then got kicked out. But other times they learn by mimicking the other older hens.[​IMG] But hey you got your first egg! congrats!

9. dewey

dewey Songster

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Thanks! Them singing after getting kicked off the nest makes sense. Seems like I'd been waiting forever and I'm happy it's finally started. [​IMG]

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Not all of my girls sing The Egg Song. However, sometimes my dominant rooster will sing it for or with them! Occasionally, a large portion of the whole flock will join in the chorus.

And yet there are many more eggs than I've heard singing about 'em, so I know I've got some stealth layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: